Older B series backhoe / subframe questions

BlownL67

Apr 25, 2009
West Springfield, Ma.
I currently own a mid/late 80's B8200HST and I am in the market for a subframe mount backhoe. The 4520 backhoe is the compatible backhoe for my machine, but finding one is impossible. I did some research and found the 4521 subframe kit is the correct one for my tractor and it the parts appear to be still be available from Kubota. Since the 4520 backhoe is impossble to find, I have been looking at older Woods 650/750 or 6500/7500 Groundbreaker models too, but unfortunately the subframe parts for those backhoes appear to be non existent according to Woods parts dept.

I have my eyes on a couple of used Woods 3pt backhoes which are readily available, but I am unsure if the Kubota subframe parts will directly bolt up. I have spoken to Woods and Kubota about my predicament and everyone is absolutely clueless hence me reaching out to the forum. Aside from custom fabrication which I would rather stay away from, has anyone run into anything like this ?

BlownL67

Apr 25, 2009
West Springfield, Ma.
I do not believe a 3pt backhoe requires a subframe. They can stress the tractor more because of the lack of a subframe.
My main question was whether or not I can use a 3pt backhoe and swap a subframe onto it. Ironically enough, someone from Woods got in touch with me this morning and told me I can yank 3pt off a backhoe and bolt on the appropriate subframe.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
A Kubota BL 4520 backhoe is the same as a Woods BH750. Woods built then for Kubota. If you can get the correct subframe parts from Kubota then you should be able to mate the two. Most of the subframes in that era were ladder style. They consisted of a framework bolted to the backhoe, under the tractor that went from the rear of the tractor to at least the center of the tractor.
Very easy to change from a 3 point mount to the subframe.

Attachments

BlownL67

Apr 25, 2009
West Springfield, Ma.
A Kubota BL 4520 backhoe is the same as a Woods BH750. Woods built then for Kubota. If you can get the correct subframe parts from Kubota then you should be able to mate the two. Most of the subframes in that era were ladder style. They consisted of a framework bolted to the backhoe, under the tractor that went from the rear of the tractor to at least the center of the tractor.
Very easy to change from a 3 point mount to the subframe.
Thanks for the reply.

I spoke with the guy at Woods this morning and he said the subframe kit will only support Groundbreaker 6500/7500 and BH65x/75x, but will not fit the older 650/750 models and he couldnt explain at all even though the backhoes seem almost identical. He was able to send me a PDF manual for the Woods 9266 kit and I was able to compare that and the Kubota to the 4521 kit and there seemed to be some very subtle differences between both subframes.

I remembered reading a while back that Bush Hog backhoes possible made Kubota backhoes also and I also found what seemed to be a current part number for a B8200 subframe so I am waiting on a call back from Bush Hog so I can get a PDF from them to see if that is something to work with.

Hopefully answers can come in the next day or so..

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I have a Woods BH750 manual. It is to large to upload here. If you send me a Private Message (conversation) with your email address I can send it to you. If you compare the Woods BH750 parts breakdown with the Kubota BL 4520 parts breakdown you can see they are the same.

BlownL67

Apr 25, 2009
West Springfield, Ma.
I have a Woods BH750 manual. It is to large to upload here. If you send me a Private Message (conversation) with your email address I can send it to you. If you compare the Woods BH750 parts breakdown with the Kubota BL 4520 parts breakdown you can see they are the same.
Sent you a private message. Can you possibly take some pictures of the subframe and bolt on points to the backhoe if possible ?

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Sent you a private message. Can you possibly take some pictures of the subframe and bolt on points to the backhoe if possible ?
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
-----------describing the pictures in my above post----
1st picture shows subframe bolted (and welded) to backhoe where the lower pins would go on a 3 point hitch application.
2nd picture shows the subframe heading under back of tractor.
3rd picture shows the rear receiver on the tractor that the subframe slides into and gets pinned.
4th picture shows the front of the subframe under center of tractor. It is bolted to the crossmember of the front end loader subframe.

The picture below shows that this setup still uses a top link. I don't think there is ever any load on it. The subframe is very strong.

The pictures show the Woods BH750 mounted on my B7100
IMG_2007.jpg

Ackorange

Equipment
M5400 4x4 with loader & hoe, box blade, old MF1010
May 25, 2023
Nantucket
I do not believe a 3pt backhoe requires a subframe. They can stress the tractor more because of the lack of a subframe.
Yes stress all the parts involved. I have a M5400 with a woods hoe. I dont know the number but a good 9' reach and depth. . I have broken my arms and the top link digging large rocks out. I did add a manual thumb with is a life savor!