Oil change issue

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a new 2650 (a few months old) I follow the ford hot supper break in and always have.

I changed the oil at 1 hour - it had some minute particulates in it as well as in the filter, the oil was clean.

I did the 10 hour service and the oil was clean, and the 50 hour, the oil was clean.

YMMV.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
All of the used oil doesn't come out when you do an oil change. Oil pools in gallies, oil lines, turbos, ect.....

So that small amount gets mixed in with the new oil changing the color.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why would you think that?

I was just thinking that if the OP didn't drain both sides of the pan that might explain why the oil turned black so fast.
Was just postulating and poking at you a bit.....:D I do sometimes wonder how many owners do just that however.:rolleyes:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sidecarflip, do you use 10w30 or 15w40?
I used to run 15-40 Rotella but I switched to 5-40 T6 about 6 years ago and have stuck with that because the 5-40 lets the engines turn over easier when cold. Remember, I don't have block heaters on them nor do I have electricity in the barn so they sit in ambient temperature in the winter. Same with my pickup truck.

Candidly, I was amazed how clean the overhead was and I took my finger and ran it over the topside of the head between the valve mechanism to see if there was any sludge laying on that surface and there was none. Just as clean as when the engine was new.

Last summer I replaced the HUEI and glow plug harness on my 1997 7.3 Navistar in the pickup which entails pulling the valve covers and same deal, clean as a whistle underneath. You could plainly see the paint marks on the valve springs and the catalog numbers on the injectors and the valve covers had absolutely no blowby residue on the underside. Didn't even wipe them down. Just reinstalled them.

My pickup is the same deal. Oil colors a bit between changes but never gets black.

The valve clearance is excessive on the M9 and I expected that. I'm way past Kubota's recommended valve adjustment interval. WSM says 0.008 -0.010. Told Dennis to set them towards the 0.008 side in as much as I don't run that particular tractor that hard, it's a rake tractor.

I still believe the black oil at drain time is caused by the pollution controls and carbon getting in the lube oil.

With 4000 meter hours on the M9 engine, I expected some blowby and dirty oil from that and that hasn't happened either. Hardly any vapor comes out the road draft tube from the valve cover. Remember, this motor is not a pollution motor, no emissions hardware / software whatsoever. and...

I always use Powerservice in all of them, all the time. Winter = red, summer = white.

Must be doing something right, think I'll keep on my program exactly.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I better add that I always change my oil hot. I'll change after the engines are up to running temperature which can be a bit dangerous (as far as getting burned from hot oil) but I'm always careful and so far, all these years, I've never got burned.

I feel that with a hot change, any suspended junk in the oil hasn't settled out and it flows easier out the drain plug(s) better anyway.

I don't endorse that for everyone however.:D

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I always use Powerservice in all of them, all the time. Winter = red, summer = white.
Are you sure about that? The white bottle of PS is for winter. The red is the 911 version, and is only supposed to be used on fuel that is gelled. The red is not supposed to be used regularly. Put differently, the white bottle is preventive, and the red bottle is an after the fact treatment to get your deisel running again after you already have a problem with gelling. I think the summer one is the silver bottle (but don't quote me on that one).

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You are correct and I don't use the red (diesel 911) stuff, just the white bottle all the time.

I do use Archoil fuel additive too, but that is a cetane enhancer and biocide, not a fuel conditioner like powerservice.

Using powerservice, I've never had any water in my separator in either of my M9's.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Are you sure about that? The white bottle of PS is for winter. The red is the 911 version, and is only supposed to be used on fuel that is gelled. The red is not supposed to be used regularly. Put differently, the white bottle is preventive, and the red bottle is an after the fact treatment to get your deisel running again after you already have a problem with gelling. I think the summer one is the silver bottle (but don't quote me on that one).

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

You got it... White winter, Silver summer, Red oh crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
YOU Probably did but change oil filter also.
My tractor has compression release and I pull that after I have drained the oil and taken the filter off.
I then run engine for a moment,, it does not start,, with compression release pulled.
This pumps a bit more dirty oil out of filter opening.
Good Luck
David

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
YOU Probably did but change oil filter also.
My tractor has compression release and I pull that after I have drained the oil and taken the filter off.
I then run engine for a moment,, it does not start,, with compression release pulled.
This pumps a bit more dirty oil out of filter opening.
Good Luck
David
That also runs the risk of the oil pump losing it’s prime, which risks total oil pressure loss after start up (unless you have the know-how and equipment to re-prime the oil pump.). The few ounces of old oil remaining in the machine is insignificant during a regular oil change considering all the oil still entrained in other passageways.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Highly unlikely because it's a gearotor pump but none the less, a bad idea.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
That also runs the risk of the oil pump losing it’s prime, which risks total oil pressure loss after start up (unless you have the know-how and equipment to re-prime the oil pump.). The few ounces of old oil remaining in the machine is insignificant during a regular oil change considering all the oil still entrained in other passageways.
Thank You for that advice will skip that step in future.
David