Newbie question on parts

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
(I initially posted this on the Operating forum, because that's where the "jerky hydraulics" thread was. But then I figured it really belongs here because it's more about service and parts)

I read all the threads about the hydraulic suction hose, and I'll be checking mine out this weekend to see if that's what is causing my jerky steering and FEL operation. I have a sorta more general question about it - I've only got about 60 hours on my L3400 HST, does it make sense that a hydraulic hose would fail after so little use? I've found a couple other weak original parts, especially the sight glass for the hydraulic fluid check which cracked all the way across the threaded part right where it joined the head (and started leaking like crazy). Got a replacement and noticed it was a lot beefier, and made of a different material, so I figure Kubota realized it needed to upgrade the part. Is that true of the suction hose too? Is the original just bad design and/or flimsy material? Will the replacement be better?

And, are there other original parts that are prone to failure earlier than you'd expect? What else should I be keeping an eye on?

Thanks for your help. This forum is a great source of info.