Newbie here w/questions...BX series

JosephInVermont

Mar 14, 2011
Vermont
Thinking about a tractor now, for summer projects around the homestead...I know I will find alot more uses for it once it's in the barn than I can think of now...but here are my questions. I've never bought a tractor before.

The Bx 25 series fits my needs, and I'm thinking used rather than new, for the amount we will use it, and older machine is fine. The clock won't be ticking away all that fast. What should I be cautious of in terms of hours...what's high on one of these things? There's a decent one locally, a little cosmetically challenged but evidently well maintained, with 820 hours.

Should I steer away from that? How relevant is hours if maintenance has been performed properly and on schedule?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting a tractor ! The wife wants it more than I, but hey any machine with an engine has my vote.

JosephInVermont

Mar 14, 2011
Vermont
More questions

Ok, more questions....

Are there known to be certain model years to stay away from or that were particularly good?

Are there other models that would be good for me (backhoe and loader are mandatory, according to the Mrs.. God how I love her)

Whats a fair price for the one I was talking about, with 820 hrs on it - street price/dealer price? The one locally is a private sale.

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
I just saw a BX 1800 w/loader/ Woods backhole/ Curtis Cab on Vermont Craig List to night. It is in Barre, Vt. I was looking to buy just the tractor not the backhole but so far he does not want to spit it up. I would try to do the same thing too.

The BX25 is much more powerful but this would be less money.

David Pidgeon
New Haven, Vermont