Newbie fuel level question

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
Follow up, finally got around to filling it up today. I put in about 9.5 gallons. So I was pretty close to Empty. After the first 5G can, I checked the fuel gauge, it was over 3/4 (almost 7/8th?). The second 5G can went in with about 1/2 gallon left. Fuel gauge is way over Full. Lesson learned. I will shoot for refilling anytime it get close to 1/2 full.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Seems par for the course. My gauge stays on full for a long time. Then drops as I would expect. When it's barely off full I can drop 3 gallons in easily. At 1\4 tank I can fit 8 in.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Follow up, finally got around to filling it up today. I put in about 9.5 gallons. So I was pretty close to Empty. After the first 5G can, I checked the fuel gauge, it was over 3/4 (almost 7/8th?). The second 5G can went in with about 1/2 gallon left. Fuel gauge is way over Full. Lesson learned. I will shoot for refilling anytime it get close to 1/2 full.
I understand this thread is about fueling…It’s really not my place to say and I understand I am changing topic sort regards of, but I think it is a helpful to fuel/grease and basic checks together…it takes long enough to run a tank of fuel through that no reason no to check the basics when time to fill up…. if you have not already greased the machine, then id do that next…and then think about what the greasing frequency compared to your fuel consumption. Likewise check the wheel bolt torque….that should not change so much, but ounce of prevention….grease doesn’t have a gauge to tell you when you last did it…unless you are logging the hours (so make a habit…to me when filling tank or at end of day)and torque doesnt have a gauge telling you when something is going to fall off. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
My L fuel gauge is definitely non-linear. Took a few full days of non-stop work to get a feel for it.

FWIW I have run my ford out many times (not on purpose or smart) but I do a lot of cutting over a large area. It bleeds out easily but I try not to do it!

I don't like getting close on my L. I keep a flashlight and look down there if I have to run it down, but like those above, I don't let it get below a 1/4 as a standard practice

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I have a new to me L3901 and not a lot of experience on tractors or diesel equipment. I was running the tractor yesterday and headed for the "barn" as soon as it hit the Empty mark as I didn't want to push it.

How much "reserve" is in the fuel tank when the fuel gauge is directly on the Empty mark? I checked the operators manual and couldn't find anything.

Also, how bad is it to run out of fuel? The op. man. just says that I would have to bleed the fuel system and doesn't have any other warning. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the separator when I got the tractor and it wasn't that bad to bleed. I was under the impression that running a diesel dry could damage the engine (injectors, fuel pump?). If it is only having to follow the same bleeding procedure as when changing the filter, that's not too the end of the world.
My B2650 with 1 bar left on the fuel guage still has about 6 liters fuel of the 27 liters capacity.

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
Mine has 13.5 gallon tank. When the gauge shows 1/4 tank I empty a 6 gallon can of diesel into it which returns the gauge to Full.
Yes my 4701 shows full or nearly so when I find I can add almost another five-gal jug of diesel.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I've had diesels since Jesus was a Corporal.

The number one rule is "Don't run it out of fuel...EVER!"

I can't answer the OP's original question, because of rule #1