New, soon to be L3800 owner

Islandguy

Equipment
L3800DT, 1964 Allice Chalmers D15
May 10, 2014
NW Wa
I've been thinking about a new tractor for some time and when I heard that the Kubota 3800 was being discontinued I decided it was time to make the jump. I have had my AC, D15 for about 30 years which is used for pasture mowing (15 acres+-), hauling logs out of the woodlot for firewood and general farm work. I payed $21.596 for the L3800 with loader, manual trans, loaded tires including delivery, which is rather spendy because of ferry fares and distance. It will be here, if the creeks don't rise, this coming Thursday. I'm looking forward to hooking up my 5 ft Kodiak mower and see how this new machine compares to the Allis Chalmers which is gas and about the same HP.
I guess I got an OK deal considering there doesn't seem to many 3800s at dealers around the Puget Sound area.

I'm thankful for all the information on this site

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Welcome to OTT! Glad to have another voice in the Pacific Northwest! I believe you did well on the deal. You won't have a problem with that mower, other than maybe wanting a bigger one. Do send pictures when you get the tractor - we Love pictures!

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Congratulations brother. You will prize your pre emissions tractor. Your a smart man for buying one now.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I've been thinking about a new tractor for some time and when I heard that the Kubota 3800 was being discontinued I decided it was time to make the jump. I have had my AC, D15 for about 30 years which is used for pasture mowing (15 acres+-), hauling logs out of the woodlot for firewood and general farm work. I payed $21.596 for the L3800 with loader, manual trans, loaded tires including delivery, which is rather spendy because of ferry fares and distance. It will be here, if the creeks don't rise, this coming Thursday. I'm looking forward to hooking up my 5 ft Kodiak mower and see how this new machine compares to the Allis Chalmers which is gas and about the same HP.
I guess I got an OK deal considering there doesn't seem to many 3800s at dealers around the Puget Sound area.

I'm thankful for all the information on this site
Island guy,

Congrats! We are also in the pnw. Love our L3700SU ( same as L3800). Also have the Kodiak 3 point mower which does a great job over here in moonscape.

About the only suggestion for you is to find or have built a toolbox. We had ours built to spec and mounted it behind the operator's seat. The tiny little Kubota tool box now sits on our ATV. It's big enough to hold a pair of gloves, a toothpick and a stick of gum.

Have fun with it.

Burt

Islandguy

Equipment
May 10, 2014
NW Wa
Thanks for the replies. My computer went south and there has been problems getting back to the site using a borrowed lap top. Good tip on the tool box. The one on my old AC (lovingly referred to as Allis) is way too small also.
The new 3800 arrives tomorrow, cant wait.

Cheers, Steve

Islandguy

Equipment
May 10, 2014
NW Wa
My new L3800 arrived right on time yesterday and after an in depth demonstration of how everything works, including taking the FEL off, back on and off again, I was mowing pastures. Mowing without the bucket seemed like a good idea since I was used to cutting close to fences, etc.... and with the wider bucket it seemed like I could easily damage things, and more work, I dont need. The old AC D15 has a deeper, narrower (44 inches) bucket and will work great for working in the woods, firewood and heavy lifting. The Kubota is much handier, especially w/o the FEL, for mowing, theres no comparison in fact. The finished pasture looks better dragging the same Kodiak mower I used behind Allis.
I'm a happy camper and would recommend "Issaquah Honda, Kubota" anytime.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Glad you are happy. You'll only get happier! I'm working without the FEL more and more. The tractor works better that way for most implements. Problem is it is SO handy to have it....