Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Hi
I bought a BX2370 with FEL, snow blower BX5455, and used rear blade in early December. I started looking on the internet for information, ideas, and additional equipment, and quickly discovered most/maybe all the information and ideas I was looking for already existed in threads on tractor forums. This forum seemed the best for Kubota owners and also seems more focused on solving problems and sharing ideas.
Living and blowing snow in northern Michigan one of my first priorities from my searches was ideas for building a cab. I started building in late January planning on using it next year. It was another cold February in Michigan and I spent extra time inside working. Lots of cold with little snow here this February, three sub -30 F nights, zero + 30 F days. The cab while not complete was ready for use March 3rd. We got less snow then predicted from the March 3rd storm, but enough to drive the tractor in heated comfort while the cab got plastered with snow from the blower.
In a few days I will post some construction information and pictures. From my reading I already know pictures are required.

Synergy is using Grouse Feathers for Trout Flies or Woodworking for Tractor Cabs

Attachments

Last edited:

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
Welcome to the OTT Grouse Feathers!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
That is gorgeous!

As an old woodworker myself, I'll be interested in how you waterproofed all that gorgeous wood!

WELCOME! :)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
It only looks gorgeous from 20 feet in a picture. The color actually comes from the epoxy used to waterproof the plywood skin. The epoxy should be light amber, but in 25 years plus the hardener turned red. Probably absorbed some moisture, rusted the can, and turned red from the rust. It does look a little like mahogany except up close where you can see the runs. This summer two more coats of epoxy, sanding smooth, and then orange paint.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Welcome to the orange, the cab looks good! but I must say that I haven't seen a grouse to shoot at in 30 years around here,,,, not that I could the little speed demons anyway,,lol

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Oh, very nice! And as someone far more adept with woodworking tools than a welder, I admire the finished product having the additional challenge/feature of wood construction.

I particularly like the "Florida room" inside the ROPS, but seeing that prompts the question: "Why not make it a pop-out so you can adjust the rear implement without going out in the weather?"

Thanks for joining us!

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT Grouse Feathers. It must be nice to have that much time? Did the wood come from your property?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Thanks for the replies
skeets – My dogs often wish I was a better shot on the birds they point.
ShaunBlake – From reading the forums I thought welding was a prerequisite for owning a tractor. Good to know I am not alone. I can strike an arc, but wood is definitely my construction material of choice. The “Florida room is required for the seat, but when I have the cab off this summer to finish it I will recline the seat to see if I can reach the blade for adjustment. A modification may be in the works.
mickeyd – The sand in this area grows little besides jackpines, a highly flammable scrub of a tree. It seems like I had a lot more time before I retired, now I am always busy.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Thanks for the replies
mickeyd – The sand in this area grows little besides jackpines, a highly flammable scrub of a tree. It seems like I had a lot more time before I retired, now I am always busy.
I know what you mean. I never worked as hard as I do now that I'm retired. Sure, I used to put in more hours, but the physical work, not so much.