Need solution for erosion on drive slope into field

retiree-urgency abandoned

Equipment
B3350, Kub. 5" rotary cutter, LP 48" forks, Titan Aerial Platform, KK XB Dump
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Hi All -

Am trying to come up with a solution to mud/erosion on a driving path (mostly the Kubota) into a field that I use quite a bit. Attached photos aren't mud at the worst, but give you an idea. The easy solution is never to drive it unless it's dry - great in theory, but not gonna happen. Haven't measured it, but grade's probably 20% or so. The problem isn't surface waterflow - mostly caused by driving over it when ground is damp/wet.

I've looked at the geocell product - like this https://vodaland-usa.com/pages/geo-grid-1, but am concerned that if I fill it with gravel , I'd end up with most of the gravel kicked out to the lowest point. Anybody have experience using geocell product for this application?

Another option, probably overkill, is flexmat - https://www.flexamat.com/flexamat-erosion-control-solutions. I think it would definitely do the job, but minuses are cost (~$2,000 delivered by truck), weight (10#/sq. ft. - 3,000# for a 10' x 30' piece) and having to rent a excavator to move/position it.

Another idea would be to set in a bunch of concrete parking lot bumpers, like these - https://indianabarrier.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Flat-Parking-Bumper_Details.pdf

Would welcome your thoughts/suggestions!

Thanks!

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Have you seen these?

I would make a pad then soil cloth, lay blocks then fill with river rock.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Wouldn't a good base layer of RC2 topped off with RC57 work? (Basically #2 stone topped with 57 gravel). Reag is cheap if it is close enough. $12‐13 per ton.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I had a massive amount of water running down the hill in front of my tractor shed. enough that I had a foot deep washout in front of the door. I ended up making a ditch and using big 0 to make a culvert. i also dug a curtain ditch across the hill to divert the water into the lower area. Its not pretty but even with heavy rain and snow melt it works.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If it gets soupy, Id put a good base in, (put some fabric down first) same as a drive. Approx 6-8 inch of softball sized rocks and then top dress with 4inch or so of some top dress / crushed stone and dust. It may be overkill but those rocks will compress and lock together and give you a base you could drive a truck / tractor over. After a few freeze thaw cycles you can put on top whatever you like.

Reactions: 1 user