My new 3800 HST reveiw

Gatormark

Nov 27, 2012
River Ridge Fla USA
I could not be happier with the way this tractor works. Bought it with the 540 loader and a root rake to clear woods in c fla and it has done a great job. Some of the bigger trees still have to be cut( firewood) and the root base dug out slowly but for the smaller oaks and hickorys it just flat brings them out of the ground. I also ended up buying the hydro transmission at the last minute and folks trust me, for loader work its the only way to go hands down. The only complaint I have is a lack of dealer support, they sent the tractor out,dropped it off and away they went, no saftey hints,operating hints and it only had 3 gals of fuel in it. I also had to add two qts of hyd fluid to it. But from what I seee here on this forum dealer support seems to be lacking everywhere.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Not True!! My dealer spent a couple of hours going over the tractor in my driveway, ensured I knew how to operate everything, and what each button and lever did. Some things, like the clutch lock, you'd probably never guess. He insisted I take off and put on the QA bucket, and the whole FEL; gave tips about releasing pressure in the lines, etc.
He also showed how each and every safety switch worked, and explained why they were there.
And it had a full tank of gas, and all of the fluids were correct, and all of the tires filled with rimguard.
I think you got a bum deal, from yours.
Anyway, WELCOME to OTT! I'm sure you will love what the orange beast can do for you! If my old 185 is any indication, you'll feel even better about it 30 years from now.

Last edited:

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Glad to hear of your new purchase. Yes, for loader, and most other work a HST is the only way to go. Sometimes I wonder why the manual is offered at all on certain tractors and there intended use.

My local dealer went out of his way to make sure I was happy - on all three units that I have bought to date from him. Two new Kubota's and a used Thomas skid steer.

All were brought to my location to save on city taxes, and everytime the person delivering went over everything in a respectful way.

So, no complaints here. I see that most dealership complaints seem to come down to costs - like the dealership, with rent / lease / taxes / inventory / wages paid should only charge as much as it would cost to do the work at home, when some value there time at zero cost. People, it costs to employ, train and retain great employees with a decent wage and benifit package.

I have to add, even the local new Holland dealer has been a wealth of information. It was he who steered me away from Green and to either Orange or Blue..... and he tried hard to sell me a blue, and I would have bought one except for the seating postion on the T1520 (or T1510 / T1530). For me, it was uncomfortable at best compared to the L3200 / L3800

Prices and zero interest financing were on par as well. Really, it came down to plain old ergonomics.

David

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Welcome!

I've had my L3800DT almost a year and love it! Gear drive and all. :D
Expectations have been surpassed! Mowing, logging and loader work...

The guy who delivered mine went over the rig real good with me and stressed greasing the front axle pivot. I appreciated it, but already knew all that stuff.

Check your front axle oil level, they are usually low...