My B21 quit????

Trike1946

Equipment
B21
Jun 22, 2013
Medford, NJ, USA
Hi all. I am new here. I have an 04 B21. I have not really had any problems with it until now. I only use it once in a while. It only has about 150 hours on it. It has been sitting about 2 months. I started it up this morning. It started right up. I turned it around and started across the lawn about 30' and it quit. It turns over ok. I was low on fuel so I put some in. I am not sure if it ran out. It showed a little on the gauge. After I put it in I cracked the nuts open on the injectors and a little fuel came out so I assume the pump is working. The lights all work. I don't really know where to start looking. If I did run out of fuel is there a better place to let the air out? Any help would be appreciated.
Bob

Trike1946

Equipment
B21
Jun 22, 2013
Medford, NJ, USA
I went out this morning and the fuel filter looked white on the bottom half. So I dumped the fuel and added new. After some cranking it finally started. I guess too much condensation. Does it hurt the starter to crank for a long time?

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
Cranking for too long can get the starter hot and that's not good for it. Rule of thumb is no more then about 15 or 20 seconds at a clip with time to cool in between. If you got it a little warm it doesn't mean it's no good. I bet you would have to really abuse it to see a problem.

I had an old VW rabbit jump cam timing and used the starter to get it thru an intersection and off the road. Didn't do any harm. Good thing for manual tranny's and no clutch safety switch.

Last edited: