M7040SUHD is 'interim Tier 4' but no DPF filter?

gam

Apr 8, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
And anyone know why the M7040SUHD can still be sold new without the diesel particulate filter (DPF) while dealers say the cab versions (upgraded to 7060 I believe) are required to have the DPF? This seems to be the case here in Ontario where a dealer that I spoke to said he still has a new M7040SUHD without a DPF (that was delivered in February 2014) while anything with a cab these days (at least here in Ontario) has the dreaded DPF?
Anybody know what is going on here? What does interim Tier 4 exactly mean? Does an interim Tier 4 tractor such as the M7040SUHD have any filters or emission that its predecessors don't? And how does it differ from the economy model of the M7060?
Salesmen I've spoken to haven't given me clear answers, and some didn't even seem to know much about the DPF systems, which units have them and which don't.
Thanks,
G

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
He's just fill'n full of it . It's a tier 3 . 2013 tractor . The delivery date made be in 2014 but I would bet its was build in 2013 .

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
There are 3 rounds of federal emissions regulations. The first was in 2007, 2010, and 2015. And as previously mentioned it is related to manufacture date. Before 2007 diesel fuel had 500ppm sulfer and today it has 15ppm sulfur. SAE oil code is also affected by this. Before 2007 diesel was rated CI4, CI4+. Now it is rated CJ and is backwards compatible. Tier 4 is when the heaviest exhaust regulations will apply. Personally this is the reason why I still drive a 2005 diesel truck and I just bought a 2013 L3800. I have never purchased the first year of manufacture of any engine or vehicle. Your opinions may vary. Ed B

gam

Apr 8, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
There are 3 rounds of federal emissions regulations. The first was in 2007, 2010, and 2015. And as previously mentioned it is related to manufacture date. Before 2007 diesel fuel had 500ppm sulfer and today it has 15ppm sulfur. SAE oil code is also affected by this. Before 2007 diesel was rated CI4, CI4+. Now it is rated CJ and is backwards compatible. Tier 4 is when the heaviest exhaust regulations will apply. Personally this is the reason why I still drive a 2005 diesel truck and I just bought a 2013 L3800. I have never purchased the first year of manufacture of any engine or vehicle. Your opinions may vary. Ed B[/QUO

That's interesting. Another dealer told me the M7040SUHD is still around b/c it wasn't selling very well the last couple of years and dealers are getting rid of Kubota's old stock. I'm interested as long as it's reliable, dependable and not of inferior quality. I'm with you that I don't want the first year of the 7060. I've heard too many horror stories about guys having to get their computers reset because they didn't "regen" their Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) filters, and that it's not really known when the DPFs have to be replaced or how much that will cost.
The irony of this is that the DPFs actually worsen fuel efficiency rather than improve it, which puts paid to the idea that this is saving the environment. Less particulates but more carbon emissions. Seems senseless to me. And are tractors the big cause of pollution or climate change anyway? Seems like the wrong target, and the wrong thing to do.
Anyway, I'm just hoping that the M7040SUHD isn't the runt or lemon of the 7040 family ...