M4700 not cranking

rmartin6821

Equipment
M4700
I have been brush hogging and parked the tractor and now it will not crank. It has done this before. I have cleaned out under the dash panel with my hand on previous occassions and eventually I move something that allows the engine to crank. Runs great once it starts. This time, I got it to start a couple of times but then would not start again. I could hear the relay clicking when I turned the key. Checked safety switches and all apparently ok. So, I decided to fix it once and for all. Took off steering wheel, loosened guage panel and could see two wires going to the third relay from the left were frayed and appear to have been mashed by something with bare wires exposed. So, I repaired these wires (one at a time so I would not get them switched. Confident that would fix the problem, I tried cranking but still only get relays clicking. Battery is at 12.6 volts, good ground. Any ideas on what to try next?:confused:

ValveJob

Equipment
L3400DT Loader Boxblade
Feb 6, 2010
La Fayette, GA
I don't have a tractor like yours but since noone else answered, I'm all you got. I'm guessing your relay sound is the solinoid. I guess it could be a fuel shut off. No matter. Get a volt meter and check the voltage going to the starter when you hear the click. If you get 12 volts at possitive of starter then then it is ground connection somewhere or starter.

If no 12 volts then back up to solonoid. Check for 12 volts going to solonoid (Big lug comming from battery). Check for 12 volts going to solonoid on small wire when key switch is activated. When you turn key to start, 12 volts at low current on the small wire to the solinoid activates a heavy plate in solonoid which shorts the big lug from battery to big lug that goes to starter (sorry for one long sentance).

But from what you said it sounds like a connection problem. Over and over people think they have good ground connections (or connections in general) when they do not. You can read many post here about bad connections to block, chassis, frame, battery, switch, and solinoid. Put a volt meter from battery ground to places power goes to and check that voltage when cranking.

Let us know what was wrong,

Valve Job

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
12.6 volts won't start your tractor. Full charge is 13.6 volts or there abouts. I suspect it's time for a new battery. Try doing a voltage check under load --- hook up your meter to the battery and then hit the starter. Your battery should hold a good 12 volts under that load --- I'll wager that you'll see more like 9.0-10.0 volts.