M4050DT hydraulics

gooseman

Equipment
M4050DT
Jul 10, 2010
Ontario
Need some advice, I have a M4050DT and I have lost hydraulics. I was using the tractor to brush hog some long grass and everything was good. Parked the tractor and lowered the bucket and all was good hydraulics worked great. Started the tractor a few days later and absolutely no hydraulics. Cant raise the bucket or 3pt. Seems like I have power steering but nothing else. I cleaned the hyd filter and it was relatively clean. Drained the hydraulic fluid and added fresh and checked the suction line from lower trans case to filter and it was clean. Any suggestions on what to check? Could a valve be passing? I cant see how the pump would just quit when it was working good before shutting tractor off. I am at a loss here. Thanks for any ideas you might have. Tom

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Check that the loader control and any rear remote levers are in the neutral position.

Sometimes a rear remote with a float or other detent position is not returning to neutral and bleeds off hydraulic flow.

Dace

gooseman

Equipment
M4050DT
Jul 10, 2010
Ontario
Check that the loader control and any rear remote levers are in the neutral position.

Sometimes a rear remote with a float or other detent position is not returning to neutral and bleeds off hydraulic flow.

Dace
I have checked both the loader and the lever for rear hyd and both are in neutral. I also have cycled the 3 pt hitch and it dropped and now wont lift back up.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I have checked both the loader and the lever for rear hyd and both are in neutral. I also have cycled the 3 pt hitch and it dropped and now wont lift back up.
Let me start by saying I do not know your tractor.

What I see on line is what looks like a separate system for the power steering which likely explains why it is working while other hydraulic systems are not.

Considering you were bush hogging in rough terrain, I am inclined to suggest something has affected the suction line feeding the main hydraulic pump. A branch, a stump.....

There are rubber joints along the pipe. Check these very carefully. Air can leak in while oil wont come out.

One trick which recently helped another owner was to use a shop vac to pressurize the transmission/oil reservoir.

You will find some air escaping out any vent lines..... don't worry, all you are trying to do is give the pump suction a little boost.

Dave

gooseman

Equipment
M4050DT
Jul 10, 2010
Ontario
Let me start by saying I do not know your tractor.

What I see on line is what looks like a separate system for the power steering which likely explains why it is working while other hydraulic systems are not.

Considering you were bush hogging in rough terrain, I am inclined to suggest something has affected the suction line feeding the main hydraulic pump. A branch, a stump.....

There are rubber joints along the pipe. Check these very carefully. Air can leak in while oil wont come out.

One trick which recently helped another owner was to use a shop vac to pressurize the transmission/oil reservoir.

You will find some air escaping out any vent lines..... don't worry, all you are trying to do is give the pump suction a little boost.

Dave
Dave; you got it😊 I blew some air in through the dipstick hole and cracked the top bolts on suction line at the pump and got the oil flowing and tighten the bolts back up and presto back to working. Thanks for the tip. Saved me a whole lot of work thinking I needed to remove the pump. Tom

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Dave; you got it😊 I blew some air in through the dipstick hole and cracked the top bolts on suction line at the pump and got the oil flowing and tighten the bolts back up and presto back to working. Thanks for the tip. Saved me a whole lot of work thinking I needed to remove the pump. Tom
Tom

This is the second time in a month or so when this trick helped an owner.

Maybe there has been some change in filter material which makes it difficult for a hydraulic pump to get flow going.

Thanks for reporting back as the feedback helps everyone learn.

Dave

gooseman

Equipment
M4050DT
Jul 10, 2010
Ontario
Tom

This is the second time in a month or so when this trick helped an owner.

Maybe there has been some change in filter material which makes it difficult for a hydraulic pump to get flow going.

Thanks for reporting back as the feedback helps everyone learn.

Dave
Its a washable metal filter so no change. No idea why this happened as I have owned the tractor for about 9 yrs and its been good to me. Again thanks a million