M4030su Lift control

RayV

Equipment
95 M4030su
Dec 14, 2011
Nicholls, Ga
Hello, I am the happy new owner of a 95 M4030su.
Only 370 hrs on it now, so I'm wondering it that might relate to the Lift issue I have. I must first verify I do have a problem, this is the first Kubota I have ever been around.
My old tractor, a Ferguson To-30, the lift can be raised so slowly and controlled that I have used the boom as an engine hoist...removing and installing an engine/transmission into a car. On my 4030, when I slowly/evenly raise the position control lever....the lift arms will not move, then will jump to catch up. Making a jerky lift motion. I have replaced the filter and all the UDT fluid. When I lift the Position Lever quickly full up, the lift moves quickly and smoothly to the top. No leak down when engine shut off.
Mowed about 6 hours this past Saturday and the jerkyness seems to be slightly improved. My tractor may have setup too long and this will work itself out. Reading my new manuals, I suspect the control valve may be sticky and need a rebuild O'ring kit.
Should I expect a smoother lift action, or am I describing Kubota normal lift operation?
Thanks

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Ray, is your M4030SU's lift still a actingup.? My dad has a 93 tractor like your, except his has about 1000 hours on it. I don't remember it acting like yours. I'll be home for Christmas next weekend and I'll check it out, that is if I don't forget.

RayV

Equipment
95 M4030su
Dec 14, 2011
Nicholls, Ga
Pat, appreciate any testing or ask your dad for me how he judges the lift control. Mine is most jumpy the lower half of lift arm movement. Upper half is almost ok, but not as controllable as I would expect. Thanks

RayV

Equipment
95 M4030su
Dec 14, 2011
Nicholls, Ga
Pat...also, sorry to press, but your're the only connection I have right now to another m4030 owner....I am discovering it may be normal for the brakes to make a groaning sound with medium pedal pressure. Is that the case with your dad's tractor? Thanks.

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I don't know about the brakes. I'll get there Sat. afternoon, but it will be Sunday or Monday before I get a chance to check it out. Does your lift jerk with a heavy implement on it? I don't remember Dad's raising the lift arms in a jerking motion or anything about the brakes, but I'm not around it that much. Stay tuned.

RayV

Equipment
95 M4030su
Dec 14, 2011
Nicholls, Ga
Same, the amount of weight on the arms does not seem to have any effect on the amount of jerkiness. Thanks

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Ray, I checked out Dad's 4030su yesterday. It has approximately 1000 lb concrete counterweight on the 3pt. It does lift with a slight jerking motion and lifts smooth, but quick if you raise the lift lever to the full up position. I checked with the family, and nobody has a problem with the way it lifts. Any lifting such as pulling a motor as you suggested is done with the FEL. I was able to raise the counterweight fairly smoothly by moving the lift lever ever so slightly. I also tested the brakes. No noise, stops like it should. The tractor has a little less than 1100 hours on it and is a 93 model. Hope this helps.

RayV

Equipment
95 M4030su
Dec 14, 2011
Nicholls, Ga
Thanks Pat. You've been a big help. Difficult for me to get my head around the tractor lacking the engineering refinement, in any way, present on a 50 year old 8N.

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Ray, you are welcome. I must say that I much prefer the M4030 over an 8N. I've used an 8N and in the application we used it, we had to shift the transmission into neutral, let out the clutch, and wait while it raised the implement. On the 4030, you don't have to stop or wait. It isn't as nimble as an 8N, but it is a lot bigger tractor and I'm sure the hydraulic pump has a lot more gpm than a 8N. Good luck!

kyfred

Equipment
M5030SU 4WD
Dec 20, 2010
Northern KY
Two years ago, on my M5030SU. after we got into mowing our hay my lift and front end loader started doing what you are describing. I checked fluid level to see if low and it wasn't so we were busy with the hay I went ahead and used it. Then the tractor developed a small leak coming off the hydraulic filter. The hydraulic fluid would drip maybe a table spoon full of hydraulic fluid overnight. I took the filter off, cleaned the gasket put the fiter back on and it still leaked and the hydraulics were jerkey. Went and installed another hydraulic filter the first one had less than 100 hrs on it and problem solved. No leak and jerky hydraulics were gone. 3pt hitched worked smooth and front end loader worked smooth.
The filter that started leaking wasn't leaking enough when the jerky stuff started to show any fluid on the outside of the filter. I guess it was sucking just enough air in through the base of the filter to cause the hydraulics to jerk. After replacing the filter it has been fine every since.
It was a defective filter that caused my problem.
Close to 50.00 for the filter but it works fine.

Last edited:

RayV

Equipment
95 M4030su
Dec 14, 2011
Nicholls, Ga
Fred thanks. I'm on my 3rd filter, symptom same for all. Ended up replacing all the UDT with the last filter.
Pat found out for me, my 3 point lift is engineered jerky.

kyfred

Equipment
M5030SU 4WD
Dec 20, 2010
Northern KY
Thanks I was wondering what you found. Sounded like mine I guess I lucked out with a defective filter.
Good Luck