M120 will not shift into 5,6,7 or 8 gear in neither H or L range

William Chisholm

Equipment
Kx121-3,M120,Bobcat 743
Aug 1, 2021
ALABAMA
When I am in H or L range and try to go into 5th, trzctor stops and alarm beeper starts up. I then can put in neutral and down shift to any gear below 5th and it runs as it should. Anybody know what's going on? Thanks

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
When I am in H or L range and try to go into 5th, trzctor stops and alarm beeper starts up. I then can put in neutral and down shift to any gear below 5th and it runs as it should. Anybody know what's going on? Thanks
You have either a failed pressure switch or a failed clutch pack in the transmission. How many hours on tractor?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
William - - welcome to OTT. See you just joined.

Point of fact....listen to what eserv asks/says....he's not guessing....very experienced guy.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
You have either a failed pressure switch or a failed clutch pack in the transmission. How many hours on tractor?
There were a few pressure switch problems on the early power shifts that would cause those symptoms. 850 hrs seems low for a clutch pack failure but in most cases that is what it is. If you feel proficient enough doing it you can swap out the pressure switches from one location to another to see if that causes the problem to move to another area or not. The switches are on the top of the transmission right under your feet in the machine.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
There were a few pressure switch problems on the early power shifts that would cause those symptoms. 850 hrs seems low for a clutch pack failure but in most cases that is what it is. If you feel proficient enough doing it you can swap out the pressure switches from one location to another to see if that causes the problem to move to another area or not. The switches are on the top of the transmission right under your feet in the machine.
This is a picture of the pressure switches. #1 will be the one that has failed if one has failed. you can swap it with any of the other ones to see if the problem goes to another gear . If it don't change then the switches are OK and you will have to split the tractor and repair the clutch pack.

Attachments

William Chisholm

Equipment
Kx121-3,M120,Bobcat 743
Aug 1, 2021
ALABAMA
Many thanks. I can do that. So there are 2 pressure switches I should interchange. If one is bad, the problem should reverse the upper and lower end of the pattern. Is that correct? Besides being under my feet,how else can I identify them. Your help is appreciated.

William Chisholm

Equipment
Kx121-3,M120,Bobcat 743
Aug 1, 2021
ALABAMA
OK. I now have in my possession a WSM for my tractor and see the diagnostic section. It will be a couple of days before I can get back to the tractor. I'll go thru service section and see what I can find out. Thanks for your help. I'll get back as soon as I can and let you know what I find.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
OK. I now have in my possession a WSM for my tractor and see the diagnostic section. It will be a couple of days before I can get back to the tractor. I'll go thru service section and see what I can find out. Thanks for your help. I'll get back as soon as I can and let you know what I find.
One other possibility is a loose top cover on the transmission. this can allow oil to leak and not pressure up the clutch pack. If it is loose it will be leaking externally and oil will be running down behind the fuel tanks.

William Chisholm

Equipment
Kx121-3,M120,Bobcat 743
Aug 1, 2021
ALABAMA
One other possibility is a loose top cover on the transmission. this can allow oil to leak and not pressure up the clutch pack. If it is loose it will be leaking externally and oil will be running down behind the fuel tanks.
Well I finally got back to the tractor problem and here's what I did and found. The first thing was to follow your directions. I got a WSM and read thru some of the diagnostic directions. Based on what you told me about the pressure switches and what the WSM had it seemed almost a slam dunk for number one pressure switch to be bad. Got a new one replaced the old one.....no joy. While I was involved with that, I notice that the display where the gear shows up was flickering with segments of numbers in no particular order and the intensity of the light was up and down and also the shuttle indicator, (N, FWD, R) lights were not showing at all. I could turn the tractor off and then start it back up and everything would come up normally but after I ran it for a while the problem returned. All of this pointed me towards an intermittence. Well I took the seat out and removed the panel covering the wiring below the lift controls, read some more in the manual, checked the grounds in that area and found them all to be solid. So.... I decided to disconnect the three connectors designated as CNT C, CNT D, and CNT E in the WSM. I disconnected CNT C and checked the wire color coding with the manual and it checked out. I disconnected what I thought was CNT E, because it was the largest, and discovered that it had only two rows of pins with 9 pins/row..18 pins in all. The WSM shows 3 rows of pins with a total of 24 pins in the connector. The color code wire is not at all similar to that in the WSM. I have not disconnected what I thought was CNT D but I can see that the wiring color code is also dissimilar. SO.... I'm stuck. This is a 2005 tractor S/N 10007. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

moesfarm

May 22, 2013
Fayetteville TN
Well I finally got back to the tractor problem and here's what I did and found. The first thing was to follow your directions. I got a WSM and read thru some of the diagnostic directions. Based on what you told me about the pressure switches and what the WSM had it seemed almost a slam dunk for number one pressure switch to be bad. Got a new one replaced the old one.....no joy. While I was involved with that, I notice that the display where the gear shows up was flickering with segments of numbers in no particular order and the intensity of the light was up and down and also the shuttle indicator, (N, FWD, R) lights were not showing at all. I could turn the tractor off and then start it back up and everything would come up normally but after I ran it for a while the problem returned. All of this pointed me towards an intermittence. Well I took the seat out and removed the panel covering the wiring below the lift controls, read some more in the manual, checked the grounds in that area and found them all to be solid. So.... I decided to disconnect the three connectors designated as CNT C, CNT D, and CNT E in the WSM. I disconnected CNT C and checked the wire color coding with the manual and it checked out. I disconnected what I thought was CNT E, because it was the largest, and discovered that it had only two rows of pins with 9 pins/row..18 pins in all. The WSM shows 3 rows of pins with a total of 24 pins in the connector. The color code wire is not at all similar to that in the WSM. I have not disconnected what I thought was CNT D but I can see that the wiring color code is also dissimilar. SO.... I'm stuck. This is a 2005 tractor S/N 10007. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Wow! Be thankful it is not the clutch packs. I just had a PTO problem on my M105X. I was so thankful it was not the PTO clutch pack. It was a electrical problem.

William Chisholm

Equipment
Kx121-3,M120,Bobcat 743
Aug 1, 2021
ALABAMA
A little more on the flickering lamp....When I start the tractor, The number "1" appears in the gear window, the neutral lamp is lit, the "F" lites when I put the shuttle in the forward position, the "R" light comes on when I put the shuttle lever in the forward position, the gear window changes correctly when I press the gear change button.. both up and down, that is both + and -. After about 20 seconds, the gear change window as well as the shuttle F or R all go out. Its like there is a thermal switch that has opened. About 15 seconds of a dark window and then faint flickering of parts of numbers begin to appear. On
e thing I noticed was when the window first goes dark there is a click like a relay or switch has opened. I sure hope someone can help me here. I in way over my head and I need the tractor.

Sulgrw10

Equipment
Kubota m120 dtc
Nov 22, 2023
Washington
I have a similar problem. My m120 will stay in n while I have it in high range. If you put it in low range it moves right away. Any guesses why it doesn’t want to move forward or back when in high?