M 8200 N; engine occasionally stops

HBuc

Equipment
Kubota M5400, M8200, KX 91-3
Aug 3, 2020
Oliver
This sometimes lasts just a few minutes and tractor returns to normal operating and sometimes it lasts for days. I suspect an electrical problem, possibly any of the relays. On occasion this is connected with odd behaviour of gauges (fuel gauge bottoms out even with tank full, temperature gauge fluctuates when signal or hazard switch is on. This might indicate an intermittent reversal of polarity). Has anyone experienced anything similar?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you're losing a ground connection.

Reactions: 1 user

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
I am with Wolf Man. I just had a M8200DTNB doing all kinds of crazy things. I found the ground cable that bolts to the base of the the alternator was lose. Tighten it up and all good.
Good luck Lance

HBuc

Equipment
Aug 3, 2020
Oliver
Hello
I am with Wolf Man. I just had a M8200DTNB doing all kinds of crazy things. I found the ground cable that bolts to the base of the the alternator was lose. Tighten it up and all good.
Good luck Lance
Thanks, I will try and find all ground connections, although I do not seem to have a ground connecting to the base of the alternator.

HBuc

Equipment
Aug 3, 2020
Oliver
Thanks, I will try and find all ground connections, although I do not seem to have a ground connecting to the base of the alternator.
I did clean and reinstall all ground connections I could find - and lo and behold the PTO and 4 wheel drive switches worked without killing the engine. Thanks for the advice... about five days later the whole thing started again - no dash lights on startup, engine starts fine until PTO or 4 wheel drive are engaged. I even connected the ground to my M 5400 and the oil pressure light came on after a minute or so, which indicates that all is good. Unfortunately, the next day the same thing, and this time connecting the grounds between the two tractors did nothing. I am starting to believe there might be some gremlins in this 8200 by-speed turn tractor... One thing all events when the PTO and 4 wheel switch ended up working again have in common was that the engine had been running for at least 10 minutes beforehand. This makes me wonder whether there is a relay or diode that does not work properly on start up but eventually comes online. However I am at a loss which relay to replace first? keystop relay, relay 1, or?
Any help would be most appreciated!
I bought this tractor a couple of years ago used, with a few hundred hours on and recently found out that a Kubota shop had previously dealt with this same issue and they thought they had fixed it.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
You should be able to swap a couple of relays to see if the problem moves. However, if you have cleaned all the grounds, you probably need to look at the safety switches. Sounds like one might be either intermittent or need adjustment. I had a similar problem on my ZTR and it was the blade engage safety switch. Some debris was causing the switch to open after the engine was cranked. Sometimes it wouldn’t crank at all.