Lug bolts for RTV500

tawilson1152

Equipment
RTV 500, ZD28, BX2360
Mar 19, 2015
Theresa, NY
I bought some tires and wheels from a local shop and discovered I need some new lug bolts as the stock ones won't let me get a socket on them. Can find what I want in everything but the 9/16" 18 I need . Anyone got a source? Thanks.

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
You didn't tell us what the critical dimension was that prevented the stock lug bolts from working or what size the stock bolts are. So, I'll make an assumption that the problem is getting a socket to fit down into a recessed hole in aluminum rims.

I've had that problem before. I fixed it by sacrificing a cheap socket to the grinder and shrinking the outside diameter by about .025 inches so that it would fit into the wheel opening. This trick is really easy to do if you spin the socket with a cordless drill while holding it against the grinder wheel. Obviously, this only works if you only need a very small bit of clearance. Otherwise, you might consider shrinking the bolt heads to the next smaller size, which is a bit trickier and brings up corrosion prevention challenges for the freshly cut faces.

I'll also assume that you already did the Google trick and found these to be unsuitable: https://www.shoupparts.com/913555/

tawilson1152

Equipment
RTV 500, ZD28, BX2360
Mar 19, 2015
Theresa, NY
Yes that is exactly the problem. And I did Google and find lots of sources for the bolts you linked. And there is not enough clearance to grind a socket down. I need a bolt with a smaller socket size. Found lots but not in the 9/16 18 thread size. A phone call to side-by-side and a very helpful lady who found what I needed, and they are on the way to me. Thanks but hopefully I am set.