Log splitter control valve lever sticking

imarobot

Well-known member

Equipment
5740HSTC-3, FDR2584 Finish Mower, BH92 Backhoe, L2195A Snowblower, LA854 FEL, +
Apr 18, 2025
424
316
63
NH
Has worked fine for years with no sticking ever. Used the splitter yesterday and lever was sticking right from the start and now sticks all the time. I cleaned up the outside of the valve to make sure there was no debris causing this with no improvement. So, I'm assuming there is something in the valve causing it to stick. The controller valve has a cap on the back which I am assuming there is something in there that may be the issue. This is on a Ariens 22-ton splitter.
 

Lencho

Active member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
453
122
43
NM
Hi Robot,
I have a different brand splitter but they may be similar. The end cap (away from the control leaver) just unscrews to reveal a threaded bolt and lock nut system. You can adjust it a bit when needed. Mine has “auto return” to pull the wedge back into the cylinder and it is a bit touchy on adjustment. IMG_0047.jpeg
 

imarobot

Well-known member

Equipment
5740HSTC-3, FDR2584 Finish Mower, BH92 Backhoe, L2195A Snowblower, LA854 FEL, +
Apr 18, 2025
424
316
63
NH
The end cap on mine is very similar to what you have. May be obvious when I see it, but do you adjust it by tightening or loosening the bolt?
I'm not sure if it's auto return, but the valve does have a "locked" position when the lever is pulled back to retract the cylinder. Under normal operation the valve would kick out to the neutral position. Now it either gets stuck there or eventually kicks out so hard the cylinder moves in the extend direction.
 

Lencho

Active member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
453
122
43
NM
Yep, just loosen the nut and then the bolt can be turned. It puts pressure on the valve I think. Try a small adjustment and you should learn which way improves operation. Trust yourself.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

imarobot

Well-known member

Equipment
5740HSTC-3, FDR2584 Finish Mower, BH92 Backhoe, L2195A Snowblower, LA854 FEL, +
Apr 18, 2025
424
316
63
NH
Well, my valve is different, it doesn't have a nut and bolt replacement. Picture showing the end didn't come out that well, I'll get a better one.
 

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
12,934
7,337
113
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well, my valve is different, it doesn't have a nut and bolt replacement. Picture showing the end didn't come out that well, I'll get a better one.
What is the Brand snd model number on the valve? If you cant fix it replacement log splitter valves are not expensive.

Dan
 
Last edited: