L6060 Air Conditioning Clutch Not Engaging (somewhat random at this point)

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
You may have 12 volts with a test light but do you have the amperage needed to pull in the magnetic clutch? If the clutch is actuated through a relay, it might be a good idea to replace the relay as the points in the relay can be partially burned and not passing the amperage.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Some are 12 and 14. Occasionally you find a 16 oz can, but those were rare. I will give you $250 for it if you deliver. Put it inside of a Home Depot heavy duty box so it isn't seen by passers by.
Still have not picked up those two HD heavy duty shipping boxes yet.
Too rainy here in FL today.,

bmr1963

Equipment
L6060
May 13, 2024
Northeast Arkansas
There are shims available from Kubota to adjust the clearance in those clutches. You remove the bolt and the front part of the clutch and you will find a washer (shim). these are the part numbers for the optional shims.
T0070-87340 SHIM 0.10mm
T0070-87350 SHIM 0.15mm
T0070-87360 SHIM 0.40mm
T0070-87370 SHIM 0.60mm
T0070-87380 SHIM 1.00mm
Very good information to know. I saw the shims listed on Messick's site as I was looking to price the clutch and complete unit. The local dealer had already told me that they only replace the complete compressor and not just the clutch. The proceedure I used last night certainly wasn't by the book however it snugged the clutch into the tolerance range and it's working for now. The bolt was a 6 mm 1.0 bolt and I used a piece of alltread that was the same size and bottomed it out into the compressor shaft. Using two washers as I didn't have one with large enough diameter that would fit the bolt I was able to compress the clutch onto the shaft until the .018 guage was snug to pull out. At that point I removed the allthread and reinserted the bolt. My main concern is why it got out of tolerance. If it was shimmed correctly from the factory and only having 800 hours on the tractor it should not have got loose. The bolt was snug when I originally removed it and they was not indication that it had moved on the shaft however it was hard to tell as you could only see the front side of the clutch. As others have written I may have issues if it had been slipping for a while as this is probably a temporary fix if even that. It appears that the compressor is manufactured by Denso type SVO7E and there are a lot of options
You may have 12 volts with a test light but do you have the amperage needed to pull in the magnetic clutch? If the clutch is actuated through a relay, it might be a good idea to replace the relay as the points in the relay can be partially burned and not passing the amperage.
Agreed totally. I do have a meter that will show amps being pulled however I started the process by going by the dealership and buying the relay (located right side of the dash) and swapping it out early into the process seeing the same result of the clutch not engaging. It wasn't that straight forward however as I misinterpreted the location and pulled the roof off only to find that the only relay matching what I bought was for the blower. Both were a 20 amp micro. My isssue turned out to be air gap on the clutch however the jury is still out on why after 800 hours I had the issue. Any one had luck with purchasing the compressor aftermarket (not China) and if so who sells US made Denso compressors at the best price? $1500 up at the dealer is salty for a miny compressor.

Reactions: 1 user

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
There may be some excessive wear due to slippage from the past few years however I really don't know when and how it got out of tolerance. It may have been off from the factory. At this point I have identified the issue and now will be looking for a new clutch source should I need it down the road. The local dealer indicated that they never just swap the clutch but change out the whole compressor. Needless to say I will at least attempt to salvage what I have a save several bucks should a new clutch be necessary down the road. For now it is working and I was extremely fortunate that the work was done in my shop.
I’m sure the dealer prefers to swap out the clutch and compressor as an assembly. They’ll likely swap out the water pump and alternator too if you whisper a concern. More parts to charge mark up on. Less likely one of the two fails in the warranty period and you come back in unhappy and they don’t actually have to diagnose the true problem. A close guess might be good enough. This is pretty much what my guy did.

I’ve got another truck, same model, with the same trouble. I think I’ll deal with it myself this time. At least I’ll know who to blame if it doesn’t work out.

I do expect the compressor and clutch are made by a supplier for Kubota. Hopefully you can figure out who that is and the manufacturer’s part number and get what you need.

Edit, just saw your most recent reply, looks like you figured out all you needed and then some. Too bad the shop couldn’t actually be troubled to repair something by adjusting it.

Last edited: