L48 remove fuel bowl and filter

m396dude

Apr 26, 2011
Washougal, WA. USA
I just bought this tractor and it's just rolled up on 400 hr. maintenance so I'm trying to get it all done as recommended in the schedule. Does anyone have
any tricks for removing this fuel bowl? I can't get my hand in there around the
ring at the top to unscrew it. Maybe time for a new spanner wrench for the
tool box? I was thinking of something along these lines:

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pr...roduct_name/Adjustable+Hook+Spanners+(Martin)

I barely fit a pair of slip jaw pliers around it and started to rough it up just a bit
then stopped. I don't want to mangle my pretty new (to me anyways) tractor.
I'd rather do it right.

Thanks in advance, I love this site and the how-to videos. I just watched the fuel filter video again to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I wish my L48 had half the access that filter does in the video!

/Mike

m396dude

Apr 26, 2011
Washougal, WA. USA
Re: L48 remove fuel bowl and filter - now hydraulic filter

That's a great idea. I tried slipping a regular strap wrench in there and it's
about impossible to work up high enough. Maybe the rubber one gives enough
flex. Where did you pick your's up if you don't mind me asking...?

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get this H.P. side hydraulic filter off.
I've already bent my strap wrench handle about 45 degrees and it ain't budged.
This ain't gonna work.....

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Re: L48 remove fuel bowl and filter - now hydraulic filter

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get this H.P. side hydraulic filter off.
I've already bent my strap wrench handle about 45 degrees and it ain't budged.
This ain't gonna work.....
Hate to tell you but the hydraulic filter seizes up very easily. It does not have a gasket. Instead it is machined metal surfaces that mate. That is why the filter is so expensive. (If we are talking about the same filter.)

Eventually I had to use a chain-style pipe wrench AND put a come-along on the handle with the other end hooked somewhere in the rear. (Can't remember where - it really doesn't matter.)

After several cranks on the come-along and the filter starting to collapse it finally came loose. The mating surfaces were greased when the new filter was put on but I'm not looking forward to the next go-round.