L3940HSCT Cheap Power Tach for Loader

lddykstra

Equipment
L3940HSTC
Feb 5, 2014
Rock Valley, Iowa
Since I was disappointed with some of the more expensive Power Tach options that are Manufactured I thought I would build my own. I found that it was relatively simple and also found that I saved a ton of money. I have only $125 invested in my new power tach.

Here are the Steps that I took
1. Measured the Lever mounting holes on open and closed settings
2. Bought a New Cylinder that met or exceeded the criteria measured in step 1 from SurplusCenter on the Web. $75 (2" tube, 1.5" Rod, with 1" pin size
3. I wanted the cylinder to take all the brunt of hydraulic force so I needed to adjust the Extend and Retract to be exact. I did this by shortening the cylinder Rod for the extend and then adding cylinder stops for the retract.
4. Obviously Painted the cylinder Kubota Orange!!!:)
5. To Attach the cylinder to the quicktach, I simple got longer bolts and added a sleeve where the bolts go through the cylinder. I bought the cylinder with 1" pin size. I used a chunk of 1" rod and drilled the correct bolt size for my sleeve.
6. My tractor already had the 3rd function on the loader valve so all I had to do was connect the hoses. (additional $50)

Here is a link to Youtube video showing it in action

Regards
Lowell D

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Great job! Great idea!