L38000HST-What gear do you disk in?

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I'm a first time tractor owner and I've had a lot of fun learning to use my L3800HST 4x4. I acquired a 4' disk and I've been working on our food plots. I've been disking in M gear and running 2,000-2,200 RPMs and I've been going kind of slow since I'm learning. Even though I'm going slow, the disk still turns the dirt over fine. I'll also add that our soil is fairly dry currently and I have not added any weight to my disk.

My uncle has an older JD and he drives it like he stole it when he's disking, bouncing in his seat as he goes. I don't know that I would ever drive my tractor as fast as he does while disking. I would most certainly have to be in H to match his speed.

So, what gear do you disk in?

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I don't have a disk, but I think I would use either M or L for disking. I see no use for using H for pulling implements. I use M for running my finish mower.

I'm sure others will post with more information. Hope this helps.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If shes working in M and your not beating your self or the equipment up and you feel comfortable then that's where you run,, running in H and beating your self and equipment up aint my idea of having fun:D

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I wouldn't get in to big of a hurry, it's not race. You will end up damaging yourself, your equipment and your tractor in high.

I do most everything in medium just fine. I've only used high for traveling down the road a few times. I've also used low but only for loader work, basically pushing down a dirt pile. Oh I've plowed with a one bottom plow in low too.

I'd stick with medium, you can always slow down or speed up a touch with your HST pedal if needed.

Just my two cents of course....

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I'm a first time tractor owner and I've had a lot of fun learning to use my L3800HST 4x4. I acquired a 4' disk and I've been working on our food plots. I've been disking in M gear and running 2,000-2,200 RPMs and I've been going kind of slow since I'm learning. Even though I'm going slow, the disk still turns the dirt over fine. I'll also add that our soil is fairly dry currently and I have not added any weight to my disk.

My uncle has an older JD and he drives it like he stole it when he's disking, bouncing in his seat as he goes. I don't know that I would ever drive my tractor as fast as he does while disking. I would most certainly have to be in H to match his speed.

So, what gear do you disk in?
Bambam31,

I plow with using L or M. Usually L. It doesn't miss a beat either way. I agree with not going fast though. I've seen larger tractors ripping along with large plows but don't agree with using a utility tractor that way. Just my 2 bits worth.

Burt

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Usually, when pulling a disc harrow, 4.5 to 5.5 mph is a good speed to get a good churning action without creating ridges. If you go to fast, the dirt will be thrown out and in creating ridges.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Thanks to all who responded. It sounds like I'm on the right track. My disking speed was in the 4-5 mph range and I thought to myself, if it's working why go any faster. Plus it's a lot easier on the lower lumbar.