L355ss electrical

David-in-OK

Equipment
L355SS, brush hog, box blade
Aug 2, 2020
Oklahoma
How hard would it be to rewire my tractor? Just the major wiring not lights. Electric is not my forte.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you have the schematic or the old harness it won’t be too hard. You may have to use different ways to connect to the back of some of the instruments.

I was able to buy a harness new from the dealer but it was expensive. Have you looked into that?

Reactions: 1 user

David-in-OK

Equipment
Aug 2, 2020
Oklahoma
If you have the schematic or the old harness it won’t be too hard. You may have to use different ways to connect to the back of some of the instruments.

I was able to buy a harness new from the dealer but it was expensive. Have you looked into that?
I haven't looked into a new harness yet. I think I might have a failing safety switch somewhere. I'm not sure if this is true, or where to look. Id like to check this first.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Do you have any schematic of the wiring? If not I can see if I have one in a manual I have.

I think the only safety switch is for the clutch. It is probably on the right side (opposite the clutch pedal) and has a plunger that gets pushed in by a tab that moves when the pedal is depressed. On my L185 the switch is mounted wire the plunger pointing down.

I will try to get you a simple schematic of the basic wiring you need to look at or replace.

David-in-OK

Equipment
Aug 2, 2020
Oklahoma
Do you have any schematic of the wiring? If not I can see if I have one in a manual I have.

I think the only safety switch is for the clutch. It is probably on the right side (opposite the clutch pedal) and has a plunger that gets pushed in by a tab that moves when the pedal is depressed. On my L185 the switch is mounted wire the plunger pointing down.

I will try to get you a simple schematic of the basic wiring you need to look at or replace.
I have a schematic, it shows the safety switch on it. When I start L355SS shuttle shift, I never have to depress my clutch. My tractor is about 40yrs old. I haven't been able to find out the year it was made so far.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have a schematic, it shows the safety switch on it. When I start L355SS shuttle shift, I never have to depress my clutch. My tractor is about 40yrs old. I haven't been able to find out the year it was made so far.
Would you be able to post the schematic on here?

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I only see the one safety switch on it and it is similar to my l185. Simple and straight forward really. The wire size is a metric size designation that I have to recall but that is the numbers beside the color designations.

You’re the same guy with the really bad wiring with the odd solenoid involved, correct?

Are you trying to repair the harness you have or replace it with new wiring totally?

David-in-OK

Equipment
Aug 2, 2020
Oklahoma
I only see the one safety switch on it and it is similar to my l185. Simple and straight forward really. The wire size is a metric size designation that I have to recall but that is the numbers beside the color designations.

You’re the same guy with the really bad wiring with the odd solenoid involved, correct?

Are you trying to repair the harness you have or replace it with new wiring totally?
Yes that's me. Right now, with a new battery it seems to be starting and running, so far. I really have been able to put it into service because I still have something going on with hydraulics. Low gear I can barely move, High gear I make it maybe 20ft, then it stops moving, I reverse just fine, go forward a bit and then stops again. I have cleaned the plunger in the flow control valve, seemed to help and then back to the same problem. Wiring might be a winter project. I sure want a new tractor, but this has a strong engine and its paid for.