L3240 clutch spline stripped

sbraggr

Feb 1, 2013
cali
In the process of changing the clutch out on a l3240 that I take care of at work, I notice the spline on the clutch hub was stripped out.
I'll like to know if this normally happens or could me something more terminal happening that I need to look further into.
Thank you.

Attachments

Sterno

Equipment
Kubota B6100D, B7100HST, Ber-Vac S51 3PT Snowblower, Kubota A450
Dec 9, 2012
Summerland, British Columbia
While not familiar with your model tractor I notice that the wear appears to be uneven. Does this model use a pilot bushing in the crank? if so check it for wear. If there is no bushing, I'd check your transmission input shaft and related bearings very carefully.

sbraggr

Feb 1, 2013
cali
Theirs no pilot bearing or bushing. I checked the schematics and nothing shows up, I'll double check to make sure.
I'll check the input shaft and related parts.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Wow what's the input shaft on the trans look like? It could be just be misuse or a bad part but I wonder if the flywheel or input shaft is wobbling? Might want to pull the glow plugs, disable the fuel pump, and roll it over with the start while watching the flywheel. A dial indicator would tell the story better if you can get your hands on one.

sbraggr

Feb 1, 2013
cali
All the tractors at my work gets abuse.
The input shaft looks fine & the flywheel spline looks good.
Everything fells tight.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I remember seeing 2 other clutch discs here that had worn splines and they both were lacking the springs for shock loads. Not a lot you can do if that is how they come. About all you can do is verify flywheel run-out is true and the input shaft isn't waggling around in its' bearing.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
That's a good point. Heh never really thought about what those springs did before now.