L3240 blowing oil out of dip stick

weldon

Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, Ms U.S.
i have a kubota L3240 tractor, the other day i changed the oil for the second time since owning it. the machine has 191 hours. All was good til i ran it the other day for bout an hour. went out the next day to check oil, and noticed dip stick not seated and oil around that area. checked level and it was around 2 1/2 quarts low. cranked tractor and oil blowing out tube. there has been no smoke or problem before changing oil. the only thing i did different is pour the oil in at the lower fill point instead of on top at the valve cover. Hard to believe i have a ring problem as it is not smoking nor has given me any sign of oil loss til i changed it. like i say only ran it about an hour and the machine has never over heated. Any ideas?

weldon

Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, Ms U.S.
had a mechanic tell it was suppose to blow oil out when dip stick out and tractor running. He said it was a pressurized lubrication system. I was pushing up some brush when this happened and he said probably a limb hit it and knocked dip stick loose and thats when it started blowing out causing my loss of 2 1/2 quarts. Still would like to here any opinions on it. Thanks

weldon

Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, Ms U.S.
Just to the right and and a little higher than the dip stick there is another cap that reads oil. The only reason i can see it was put there is for an easier fill point as the hood is somewhat of in the way to fill at valve cover.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Here is what my problem was when I had oil coming out the dip-stick and don't know it it is your problem, but worth checking. My first Kubota was an L4150 that all of a sudden started leaking oil. To make a long story short, mud daubbers had stopped up the little question mark shaped vent on top of the engine. Cleaned it out and the leaks stopped. Hope this helps.