L3200, Zero-turner, other?...(semi-long)

dukes909

Mar 20, 2014
Mississippi, USA
Howdy all,

I think I have caught the "orange bug"!..ha. We have a place with 10 acres, been there 14 years. Started off with a Craftsman rider mower - still have it! A year or so later I bought a 1949 Ford 8N, brush-cutter, disc, harrow. The 8N has been a source of great joy and major frustration over the years as can be expected with a 60+ year old tractor. Bought a Cub Cadet 50" RZT 6 years ago to cut down on mowing time.

Mostly I do a lot of mowing, disc work in the spring & fall for gardening, use the bush-hog for about 3 acres where it's too scrubby for the mower. The RZT has been ok, more and more repairs the last couple of years, but my goodness I can barely walk when I get off of that thing. A typical day mowing the grass on it is 6 hours not including weed-eater trimwork (bush-hog is a separate day and less often).

This was fine the first few years after getting the RZT but now I'm getting close to 50, and I'd like to be able to feel my arms and legs and have my all teeth intact after mowing. I really, really, hate riding the RZT for long periods. Last year I started looking at Scag Cheetah-s to cut down on the mowing time and fewer repairs (they use them where I work and the grounds crew there recommended them). $10,800 for a new one.

So I went to the Kubota dealer to look at their RZT's to compare but got waylaid to the tractors. One thing that keeps nagging at the back of my mind is that the mower would sit idle for at least 7 months of the year and I've had a need for a FEL many, many times at our place, and I really don't like going out to use the 8N or even the Cub Cadet and crossing my fingers that it will run that day...

So now I'm looking at the 4WD L3200 with FEL and a 72" finish mower. Of course this would not cut down on my mowing time at all but the tractor would hopefully be more reliable and easier on the joints.

Is this a bad plan? I still need to be able to use a disc and bush-hog. I know I won't get around bushes and trees as tight as with the RZT so I'll have to keep that.

Any recommendations here? Also I'm not clear on the "jerky 3 point hitch" and live PTO, or if those are even issues and if they are, worth worrying about.

Glad to find this forum, been reading it a lot the past week or so!
Dukester

slickwilly1976

Equipment
L1500,L1500dt, B2920,bush hog,tiller,scrape blade,cub lo-boy
Jul 14, 2013
Rocky face Ga
well there is the MMM (mid mount mower) option. Some like it because you can get close to trees. Others don't like it because it takes away from ground clearance. I would suggest that you go to you tube and search "Kubota B2920 and RCK54-29B drive on deck installation". Both the mmm and finish mower have pros and cons It just depends on preference.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
For my 2 cents, and having been where you are.
While the mower is a sweet piece of equipment, for my money I think the tractor would be the better choice. Snow removal, yeah I know you don't get much snow but it could happen, FEL work, disk, plow, box blade for the drive way and doing all the fun,,errrrr work the 0 turn cannot/was not designed to do. Yeah money wise the tractor is going to be more, but in the end. its your back that's going to take the beating. Just MHO you understand:D

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My L3200 with a 6' rear finish mower suits me just fine. It will do an acre every 20-25 minutes. The loader is super handy to have and is on and off in a minute. Before the L3200 I ran a B7500 for 10 years. The L series is more capable without feeling too big. Heck of a lot more comfortable to operate, too.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds like you need a tractor with a loader. No doubt about it you'll find it 1000 times more useful then the 8N

Balvar24

Equipment
L3800 HST, 5ft Rotary Cutter, 5ft Box Blade, Pallet Forks, 72" Rotary Tiller
Feb 18, 2014
Rock Ridge
I've got an L3800. I'm thinking that when the riding mower finally goes kaput, I'll spring for a finish mower instead. I've got a Snapper HiVac for trimming the tight areas. Of course, I've got to get some grass growing first.

ck21084

Equipment
L3200-DT, LP 1672,B7100 enrossi 5ft finish mower, 7ft backblade, 20"subsoiler
Jul 6, 2013
United States
I love my l3200 and 72in mowing combo. I use it to cut 10-15 acres a week and it's a breeze to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
The L3200DT is not live PTO and the HST model is live PTO.