L3200 QA snow plow blade

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'm building a QA snow plow for my L3200. I picked up the QA frame on ebay, added to it 1/4x3x3 angle iron, a 5/16x8 blade edge, and some 900 lb casters.
The blade is 7' wide. I run the FEL in float. The bucket roll back tilts the blade about 2" high, riding on the casters. For normal plowing I tilt it down a bit, riding about an inch. Works GREAT!
I didn't want side angle adjustment - I feel it puts the blade way too far out in front of the tractor. Besides, the rear blade works just fine to push the snow off the driveway.
I still have to double up the welds, and put on side shields? I have some 3/16x12" plate for them, but don't really know how much good they'll do. I guess they won't do any harm, anyhow.
Then, I have to paint it ORANGE! It may be Spring before it is warm enough for that. I haven't gotten around to sealing the ceiling of my barn, to heat it.

Attachments

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The skidsteer QA 5/16 mounting frame was $130, including shipping. I got 2 20' pieces of 1/4x3x3" and a 10'rem. 10' of 5/16x8" flat bar. 5' of 3/16x12" plate. $212.
I bought the 900lb casters for $25 ea. So the outlay was about $400.
I used about 5lbs of welding rod, and another 10' of 3/8x3" flat bar, and about 10' of 3/8x2" flat bar that I had lying about.
The Big R had 7' rear blades on sale a couple of months ago, for about $380. I'd still have needed the casters, QA frame and a bunch of steel to adapt it to the front. And I'd have missed out on all of the fun of the build!
I'll send more detailed pictures if you are interested.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
Nice design/execution. After I saw your earlier post about a trail wheel for your rear blade, I thought I would try to attach removable casters to the rear of my bucket for snow removal, but this looks like a better approach.

I'd like to take you up on your offer to provide more pictures, particularly of the back side. Also if you have any taken during fabrication. I have learned how to weld with an oxy-acetylene torch (poorly) and think I would like to tackle this.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Here are the requested pictures. I naturally did not take any during the build - it is too cold to be fooling with the camera. In the places that I used 3/8 flat bar, quarter inch would be fine - I just did not have any lying about. Since steel comes in 20' lengths, I cut out 2 7' pieces and had a 6' piece left. I picked up a rem of the angle iron as well, and had to butt weld a foot onto the two 6' pieces. The 5/16x8 piece was a 10' rem. When I cut 7' for the blade edge I had 3' left over, which made the 2 18" pieces I used to extend the skidsteer frame down. Nothing magical about their being 18". Heavier than 5/16 would have been OK, too.

I have no intention of using this to push dirt. I also don't push snow in anything higher than 4th gear. If I wanted a dozer, I'd have used 5/16 or 3/8 angle iron. If I wanted to plow snow really fast, I'd have attached the blade at the double angle iron piece, to the bottom of the skidsteer extension pieces with hinges homemade from 3/4" sched 80 pipe and 5/8 round stock, then attached the blade top back to the skidsteer frame with long springs. And I'd have had to gusset all the angle pieces for additional support. As I built it, it is plenty strong for snow.

Thanks for showing the interest...

Attachments

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
looks great and there's nothing to say you couldn't add a generic commercial cutting edge to the bottom if you find that the edge starts to bend a bit, I think the generic SAM 7' ones run around $100 and sometimes include bolts

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
looks great and there's nothing to say you couldn't add a generic commercial cutting edge to the bottom if you find that the edge starts to bend a bit, I think the generic SAM 7' ones run around $100 and sometimes include bolts
Who is SAM? The IdahoImplement replaceable edge is over $300!!
5/16 plate is fairly sturdy stuff - but if it does manage to bend or wear down, I'll have another look at them. Thanks!