L3130 : only 4L oil came out of engine

hendr1x

Equipment
L3130
Jan 21, 2021
New England, US
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 2004 L3130 4x4 Manual with 2k hours. Im taking care of some odds and ends and drained the engine oil last night. Only 4L came out. Manual says 5.7L capacity.

I made sure to do both plugs, tractor is pretty level..not perfect but close. I couldn't warm engine up first because of some of the work I'm doing.

Is this an issue? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Fluid capacities are often stated for a new, fresh engine. As long as all drain plugs have been removed, you're good.

Obviously, it won't take 5.7l to fill. Just fill to full mark on dipstick.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
My guess is the original owner never bothered to check the oil level? Did the original owner have maintenance records? Was the oil ever changed?

How to proceed: Did you take the oil input cap from above so it doesnt have vacuum? That probably wont keep much more in, but you will get some additional oil in many cases. As suggested fill to appropriate dipstick level. It should still be close to 5.7L.

I would also be checking all maintenance tasks in the manual from initial purchase to 2000 hours. Who knows what they also didnt do. Definitely check hydraulic fluid level!

Last edited:

hendr1x

Equipment
L3130
Jan 21, 2021
New England, US
Sorry...I should have mentioned. I check the oil prior to changing it. It was filled perfectly. My main concern was because I didn't warm up the engine prior (couldn't run it in it's current state) but I wasn't sure if if that would cause THAT much of a discrepancy. I wan't sure if I should fill it, run it later and then change again...asap....not sure how old the oil in there is but I'm guessing old/need changing but not horribly old.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I presume you're aware that the oil in the filter won't drain from the crankcase. I know, it's a small filter and won't hold a lot but that could account for some.