L305 pto engagement

Cumminshead

Equipment
Kubota L305DT, 2001 Dodge Cummins 6 speed 4x4
Dec 9, 2011
Boiling Springs, Pa
HI, I recently purchased a L305dt and have a problem with the pto. With the tractor running, no implement, pto will engage with no problem, either speed. Once hook up an implement(wood chipper) the pto lever can't be engaged, just grinds. I have to turn the tractor off, engage pto then restart. The lever for the clutch stop is not "on" clutch goes to floor board. With no implement , watching the pto shaft, once engaged and clutch is depressed it keeps spinning. Is there an adjustment for the pto or is there problem with clutch ?? Thanks in advance for any help.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
There's something odd with the clutch. Whether it has a broken part or just has a rusted-in-place clutch disc is anyone's guess.

Start by opening the inspection plate (right side) and looking for any obvious broken stuff, or metal shavings. Rotate the engine to inspect 360 around the clutch basket.

Check the adjustment on the pedal and get about 1-1/2 inch of play, perhaps it just needs a little more push to disengage.
Since the link from the pedal pushes the clutch operating lever, if it is bent, it may not push enough to disengage the PTO clutch.

Cumminshead

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
Boiling Springs, Pa
Thanks Birddogger, got the tractor in the garage today and check it out. inspection plate revealed nothing in terms of metal shavings or something broke. i do have about 2 inches of freeplay at the pedal and the clutch adjust rod is adjust all the way . using a prybar, with the pedal all way in, i cannot get the rod to move any futher forward though. guess not really anyway to see if something is stuck together without splitting the tractor, and by that time, new clutch is going in after that work.

Cumminshead

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
Boiling Springs, Pa
Birddogger, got to looking a little closer to the pedal assembly, yes the adjustment is all the way out, but all the holes for the clutch rod are all oblong. i shimmed them a little temporaily and got the freeplay to 1 1/4 inches. then into the inspection hole, i couldn't move the pto disk, so i persuaded it with a hammer and prybar, broke it loose. pto stops spinning with the clutch in. Rusted plate, never would've thought. THanks!!

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yay! Glad you figured it out.
Fashion a block of wood that holds the clutch down, put it under the floor board betwixt it and the pedal arm. That way when it is laid up a long time, the clutch discs are loose.