l305 3 point won't lift, but when control is in the lift position and the arms are held up for 20 seconds the arms will stay up on their own.

yabepj

Equipment
BX23, L305, L175
Jun 24, 2022
SouthEast Georgia
I recently purchased a l305 with steering assist. The main problem it had was hydraulic fluid coming out right below the steering wheel. The lift arms were working fine until after I changed the steering seal and then changed the hydraulic fluid and filter. (Note this tractor does not have the suction screen on the transmission/rear differential) The fluid coming out of the steering Rod, just under the steering wheel was very creamy. To me, that was a sign of water in the Hydraulic fluid. After those changes , the lift arms worked for a day or so after that, then they wouldn't lift. I swapped out the filter again , thinking that maybe its getting clogged from water and gunk that remained at the bottom of trans/rear. That fixed it for a couple days again. I tried lifting and lowing the arms (with boxblade attached) a few times in both lower and lift control positions. I believe the tractor was running while doing this. The 3 point started working again maybe almost two weeks. Then it died.

Currently, while the tractor is running, I can put the control in the lift position and raise the arms for 20 seconds, with or without an implement and the arms will remain up for days.

The steering works fine. The hydraulic pump flow goes in just under the seat next to the lift cylinder speed control/lift lock. Then goes to the steering assist block, then an accessory block and finally a relief valve. The arms will remain up under load even with the bolt loosened on the relief valve.

Also I do not have the original hydraulic filter system, It has been replace with a "LENZ" filter system (CP-750-30p) . I replaced the flex line going into the filter system with a clear line, so I could see the fluid. When running , the fluid is cloudy like it has lots of small air bubbles.

There are no noises like a squealing pressure release valve or straining pump. I think the pump gets a little warm at times for not much effort.

Any ideas what could be causing this. I've searched the internet for similar symptoms, but I can't find anything. Maybe I'm not wording my search right. I feel like, if the power steering is working, then the hydraulic pump is at least working well enough that it should pick up the 3 point arms without a load. It almost seems to me like after the pressurized fluid hits the steering it bypasses the normal flow and goes straight to the rear differential and introduces air bubbles by disturbing the fluid. I don't believe its the piston seal/s because once lifted it will hold a 5 foot boxblade.

BernieM

Equipment
L2500, Landpride 72” finish mower, Befco 60” box grader
Apr 3, 2022
West Nashville
I’m dealing with a similar lift arm issue that I too haven’t found anything on the web to get fix options. After disassembling everything thinking there was a blockage somewhere in the system (found no blockage) the arms now will rise over a period of time (5 minutes) with a slight noise as the tractor runs. It seems its bleeding air from the internal system. I’ve cycled the lift 3 times hoping the air lock would end and the lift would work as normal. So far that’s not happening.
Any suggestions are welcome

yabepj

Equipment
BX23, L305, L175
Jun 24, 2022
SouthEast Georgia
I’m dealing with a similar lift arm issue that I too haven’t found anything on the web to get fix options. After disassembling everything thinking there was a blockage somewhere in the system (found no blockage) the arms now will rise over a period of time (5 minutes) with a slight noise as the tractor runs. It seems its bleeding air from the internal system. I’ve cycled the lift 3 times hoping the air lock would end and the lift would work as normal. So far that’s not happening.
Any suggestions are welcome

Hello, I'm no expert, If you have already changed your Hydraulic filter and cleaned/changed your suction screen. Could the sound be your pressure relief valve stuck shut?

I"m going to test my pressure. I think I need a couple adapters and to use a lower pressure Gauge. You may want to try testing you hydraulic pressures at different locations.

Good luck.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Check the feedback rod between the small upper (rockshaft) arm and a tab into the rear housing

Mine is on left side underneath the rear of the seat

BernieM

Equipment
L2500, Landpride 72” finish mower, Befco 60” box grader
Apr 3, 2022
West Nashville
Hello, I'm no expert, If you have already changed your Hydraulic filter and cleaned/changed your suction screen. Could the sound be your pressure relief valve stuck shut?

I"m going to test my pressure. I think I need a couple adapters and to use a lower pressure Gauge. You may want to try testing you hydraulic pressures at different locations.

Good luck.
You’re thinking and mine are similar as all fluid has been changed and I’ve removed the rear end top cover to clean the flow valve expecting/hoping to find debris but everything was clean. Removed the machinists plugs allowing access to the port that feeds the lift piston. That port had some junk in it but after cleaning I’ve still got the same results. I’ve taken all pressure relief valves apart and cleaned them again no change. While I’d like to test the pressure from the pump I don’t wanna spend $$ on additional tools and feel confident the pump must have lost the proper clearance while sitting outside non-running for the last 4 years.