L2501 Engine Coolant

DJR

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 Front Loader, Quick Hitch, Rotary Cutter, Box Scraper, Grapl
Dec 2, 2022
Southern California
My new Kubota L2501 was delivered with the coolant level at the ”Min” level. Our acreage is in a warm to hot climate and it never freezes here. Being new to this I have 2 questions.
1. Should I top-off the coolant to the Max level?
2. The closest Kubota tractor shop is about 40 miles away, one way. is it ok to use other coolants from Tractor Supply Company or auto parts stores close by? I do understand I will need to dilute to a 50/50 mixture with distilled water.

Thanks!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My new Kubota L2501 was delivered with the coolant level at the ”Min” level. Our acreage is in a warm to hot climate and it never freezes here. Being new to this I have 2 questions.
1. Should I top-off the coolant to the Max level?
2. The closest Kubota tractor shop is about 40 miles away, one way. is it ok to use other coolants from Tractor Supply Company or auto parts stores close by? I do understand I will need to dilute to a 50/50 mixture with distilled water.

Thanks!
Kubota uses/sells the same Japanese PHOAT antifreeze formulation sold for use in Japanese cars. Pick a brand.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Unless your tractor has a coolant reservoir external to the radiator… I would not top it off…. I would leave room for expansion, which is one reason it may not appear “full” when it’s cool.

If your tractor does not overheat at the current level…. the current level is adequate.

Ordinary, common ethylene glycol anti-freeze is what most Kubtoa‘s have from the factory. Read your manual to confirm.

It’s possible that your coolant has been changed by a previous owner if you are not the first owner. To rid yourself of error…. change it completely by draining it….filling it with water, run it til hot, then drain again…(I recommend you do NOT use any “flush” or “cleaner” of any type, unless you are willing to run the risk of premature water pump failure)… Then fill with Prestone or other quality ethylene-glycol anti-freeze per the insstructions (usually mixing it 50/50 w/ distilled water.)

Reactions: 1 user

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
If you're looking at a "side expansion bottle" (for lack of the proper term whatever it is) and it's at the "MIN" level, then you don't need to do anything. Water expands with heat. When you get the tractor up to operating temp, then check the water level.

Reactions: 2 users

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
I fill my coolant overflow bottle up to the “Hot” or “Max” line when machine is cold…

I can then tell when it eats coolant easily…

If your losing coolant, add one or two Bars Leak Tablets…

The color should help you pick the brand, Rock Auto lists the colors…

I add one third water, two thirds coolant…

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Minimum on the puke tank next to the radiator? It's fine.
If it gives you a warm n fuzzy feeling to have it higher then just add distilled water.

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
The add distilled water is a good idea.
Some coolant will evaporate over time.
The water evaporates first.
Coolant that is not changed will gradually gain A/F concentration,lowering the freeze point.

The OP would do well ta add distilled water to maybe half way between add and full marks,especially in CA.
Good Luck!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I fill my coolant overflow bottle up to the “Hot” or “Max” line when machine is cold…

I can then tell when it eats coolant easily…

If your losing coolant, add one or two Bars Leak Tablets…

The color should help you pick the brand, Rock Auto lists the colors…

I add one third water, two thirds coolant…

I hope your advice is seen by All as thoroughly erroneous. All of it.

Reactions: 1 users