L245DT Temperature Gauge

smeato

Equipment
L245DT
Jan 28, 2013
Australia
Hi,
Has anyone installed a temp gauge into a L245DT Kubota engine? I'm a little old fashioned and like to watch the engine temp on hot summer days to ensure I'm not working the tractor too hard. Is there a place to install a sender unit or do you adapt it into the top radiator hose, if so how? I would welcome your feedback.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
If I remember right that model uses a water pump so it's at less risk of an overheat than the thermosiphon tractors. Still always a good idea to know your coolant temp. I believe our tractors are similar enough that I can say there's no pretapped port for a sender. I'm using a mechanical gauge and had to make my own port in the outlet neck. Someone else used an electric gage (smaller sender) that went into a hole tapped in the plate next to the neck. My mechanical sender was too big for that option. If you've got enough space the best solution would probably something that splices into the radiator hose. Though I wonder if you could find a sender that attaches to the outside of the radiator hose or radiator neck.

smeato

Equipment
L245DT
Jan 28, 2013
Australia
Your information is correct for my model tractor, there is not a pre-tapped port for a sender. It is difficult to install an off the shelve adaptor into the top radiator hose, because the 90 deg bend is too small and won't allow the standard type adaptors. I am planning to use an electric sender (only because they are smaller) and would appreciate the info on how you went about making the port in the outlet neck. I think my only option is to modify to top hose in some way to provide a threaded port.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Oh whoops. Meant to post the link for you. It was the middle of the night my time when I wrote that :)

Here are the relevant posts in my restore thread.

The first time I tried tapping into the plate next to the outlet neck. The sender sticks too far inside the head and wouldn't have fit next to the neck but I forgot to measure the outside clearance.....

Here's what I ended up making. I seem to have forgotten to show how I soldered it on. I used a product called Alumiweld that's similar to soldering for aluminum. Worked fairly well and it seems strong. If you try it do a few test pieces. You need to clean the work area very throughly with a clean wire brush. We'll see if it'll hold pressure.

smeato

Equipment
L245DT
Jan 28, 2013
Australia
G'day Stumpy,
Although my L245 has a different thermostat housing you have given me the ideas on how to go about it. I will find a suitable location and make up a sender unit adaptor as you have done. Thanks very much for your help it is very much appreciated.