l2350 wiring hot

unclelou

Oct 14, 2012
locust grove ar usa
My 1999 l23504wd has a wiring issue The tractor has a new battery and clean terminals, it was running great one minute dead the next. When i tried to restart it , it acted as if it had a weak battery. Starter would only turn the engine over very slowly and then click, a jump and a starter assist battery charger did not help. Did notice the wiring harness that goes to alternator got extremely hot. Any help would be appricated.

Last edited:

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
It is not unheard of to get a new/defective battery. I'd try a known working battery from a car, BUT if it starts put a voltmeter on the battery and check for correct charging voltage and that wires to the alternator do not get hot. Any heating of wire or voltage much over 15V shut it down so you don't bake the other battery.

The new battery could be shorted and so jumping it still didn't get power to the starter. Shorted batteries can explode after trying to charge them, if you try that- make connections at the battery with the charger unplugged; then as far away as the wires will allow, plug in the charger. When disconnecting, same thing- unplug charger, allow the battery to cool 1/2 hour before trying the battery. This is why they always say make the last connection at the vehicle you are getting the jump from, not to.

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Heat indicates high resistance in wiring circuit.

Make certain cables and terminals (+ / -) match correctly and not backwards.

Make certain cable to starter is tight at starter and terminal is clean.

Bet you'll find the negative battery cable to chassis ground is corroded and needs cleaning and / or that cable is is so corroded internally under insulatoin that it needs replacement. Clean to shiny.

I go back with battery cable bolts at chassis with glop of Kopr-Kote antiseize then cover with thick paste of baking soda and water (mixed thick like peanut butter); every year or so wash off the old baking soda crust and reapply. Works great.

Post back and advise determination and remedy.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I am not aware of earlier tractor voltages but you haven't installed a 12 volt battery on a 6 volt system have you? I am grasping at straws here.