L2000 Leaking Oil from Hole in Bellhousing-HELP!!

allantg

Nov 9, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Have an apparent sleeve missing from the right side of my tractor and when the engine in running I believe you can look into this vacant hole and see the flywheel turning. Don't know what happened, there is another similarly sized plug just above the teardrop flap as per the pic but still seems to be in place. I need to fix as oil is leaking from this hole when the tractor is in use. I have temporarily capped the hole with a crude wooden plug. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

allantg

Nov 9, 2009
Thanks Vic,

I did check the fluid levels and they seem OK. I did also locate the smaller drain plug you mentioned and removed it. Out came approximately a cup of black oil, presume engine oil and one bearing!!!! Where would the bearing have come from? Any idea??

Giles

allantg

Nov 9, 2009
I don't hear any noise in the clutch, it seems to work smoothly. I did some road work with it last weekend and did hear some rattling on the right side of the tractor but seemingly closer to me, like something loose inside. I tried to determine where the sound was coming from, but with the tractor running and no stethescope, it was difficult. I planned to take my stethescope up this week to see if I can find out more.

I guess if you lost one bearing more will follow?? What engine bearings would be located or accessible to that bellhousing area?? Should I be greatly concerned about the engine. Both the engine and transmission seem fine, sound good???

Last edited: