L2000 front axle leak

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
I have been following the great advice found here to get my L2000 in good working shape. After replacing most recommended things, I notice an oil leak coming from the right side of the front axle at the spherical joint area. I presume that this covers the u joint for the FWD. I guess that this is caused by the oil seal behind the u joint??

I would greatly appreciate advice and guidance.. I was just getting to a happy place with my new baby and have all kinds of fun planned.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Some of these will leak for years with no problems, just have to add oil. But I'd fix it if mine. You'll have to take it apart to find the prob, there are O rings and seals in there.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Thanks Bluegill. I might dump in some stop leak for now but I know better. How big of a job is this and do I have to buy the parts from the dealer?

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Thanks Bluegill. I might dump in some stop leak for now but I know better. How big of a job is this and do I have to buy the parts from the dealer?
I've never heard of a stop leak for axles. Don't think that'll work.

It's not that big of job and yes, you'll need to get the parts from a Kubota dealer. Good luck.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
White Shepard is the stop leak that my antique car buddy raves about. He claims that it cured the rear end of a Packard

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
So how do you check the front diff oil level?? I know the drain and fill plugs, but do not see a oil level type plug. I want to have it topped up when I add the stop leak.
There should be a fill plug and a over flow plug. Remove both plugs and fill until it runs out the overflow.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
There should be a fill plug and a over flow plug. Remove both plugs and fill until it runs out the overflow.
Man, I'm not seeing an overflow on the front diff. The fill is on the left side just above the input shaft. The drain is nearly directly below. Both are about 7/8" wrench size. What am I missing??