L-1501 Steering Box Issues

Bad Boy

Equipment
L1500
Sep 16, 2010
Charenton LA
I have a L1500 That the steering box has been pretty Sloppy for a while. Recently the issue started where I can turn it to the right just fine but when I to turn it to the left the steering shaft just rises up like it is unthreading. Is there some kind of shear pin or Key that may be broke? I know I am going to have to tear it down to see what is wrong but I do not want to spend a fortune to rebuild the whole Steering Box. Just thought I would get some insight from the Pro's before I start.

Doug

Equipment
L175, L2350
Aug 24, 2009
Oregon/California
Re: L1500 Steering Box Repair

Welcome to OTT Bad Boy. Your 1500 steering box is just about the same gearbox as the one in my L175. Check out Service Dept vic's video's here and here to get idea of what is going on with your gearbox. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is not a shear pin or key that is bad... it's more then the likely the bearing gave out. Ijust did a rebuild last week. It really was not that hard to do, just make sure you have a Pitman Arm puller and probably a bit of heat (Propane or acetalyne torch). I just had a lenghtly discussion on my rebuild and you can see see some pic's I posted at the end of the post here to get a idea of what is involved. In that post are a few helpfull links too.. if you have more questions just ask as some of us here have completed what you "may" have to go through. This is a really great group that has a lot of info about your 1500

Last edited: