Kubota Manual

ocsranch

Equipment
kx40, bx2660, l4701hst
Nov 6, 2021
oregon
Just got our new L4701HST, sure is pretty. The wife and grandkids came down to try it out, fun time. Training school, my wife is a former city girl and it has been fun watching her transform into a country girl. Her first "ATV" was a golf cart, (5 mph tops) she was afraid of the ATV's. Over time, she has adjusted to those, then tractors, it was kick watching her climb onto our KX-40 and start digging, nothing to it. Then the L4701HST, no problem, which means this Spring and Summer we can have everything going.

She was reading the service manual that comes with the machine, got to the tier 4 emissions stuff, asked me some questions so I took a look. Heck, I had to admit it was confusing, except for the fact that it is supposed to be an automatic process, cool. Unless, we are out in the middle of 185 acres of 4 foot high grass that is bone dry, and if that light goes off, I AM going to put that button, which is when the FUBAR can begin. (Assuming I read the instructions correctly)

*Park and regen??? Run the engine at 1200 or less? I guess it does what it needs to by itself, and.. DON'T leave the tractor. (I guess I will just carry a cooler with some beer while I wait?)

It's close to not possible for the instructions to be more involved, pages and pages and pages, I wonder after reading these if the people writing them are paid by the word? All of those little indicator lights, best to know what those mean. The KX-40 is easy, if I try to do something it doesn't want me to, it just won't let me. I keep getting "shift denied" when I get in a hurry.

Maybe the tractor won't let me either, that would be nice.

Now on our big old Massey Ferguson, built in 1962 and still runs like a top, I carry some tools. A couple of wrenches, a screwdriver, and a big hammer for when the left brake sticks so I can climb underneath and drive the lever back. Have to or she mows in circles..*LOL** On these new machines, I don't need any tools at all, near as I can tell. But I guess this is our new world, the old stuff they tell me is killing our environment, but that 60 year old machine I can fix with my few tools. Just remember to leave the fan belt nice and loose so it doesn't take out the water pump bearings, and when it quits, replace the fuel filter. Most other stuff I can fix with my hammer. 60 years, literally thousands and thousands of hours and everything still works, pretty good service. One worry is that they last SO long government won't want to wait until they die on their own and will just ban them.

These new machines sure are nice, good power, easy to run, but I wonder what they will be like in 60 years? I am a bit suspicious it might have been replaced with something that is electric or runs on Hydrogen or Ammonia. At my age of 78, I ain't gonna worry about that.

Two days, still reading the manual, figuring out the lights and warning tones and what not to do. They really could make these manuals simpler.

I have to admit that I am just not yet sure of this regen process, guess I will find out. When the KX-40 did that after just 12 hours, it did know what to do, I just sat there and watched and when it told me to increase the RPM, I did. This tractor just has a light, so I suppose I will just let her do her thing when the time comes, hopefully not out in the hay fields.

Best to admit, after reading the instructions, I am still not completely sure.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Regen is simple, the biggest thing, don't interrupt it once you have started it.

If you are brush hogging, working the tractor hard, etc., the light will come on and most likely you won't have to do anything except keep right on working.

If the light comes on and flashes for you to increase the RPM, increase the RPM and keep doing what you are doing. Once the light goes off and the process is complete, then you can step down your RPM. In the summer months, my regens are much further apart since I do a lot of mowing and running at PTO RPMs during that time frame.

ocsranch

Equipment
kx40, bx2660, l4701hst
Nov 6, 2021
oregon
Regen is simple, the biggest thing, don't interrupt it once you have started it.

If you are brush hogging, working the tractor hard, etc., the light will come on and most likely you won't have to do anything except keep right on working.

If the light comes on and flashes for you to increase the RPM, increase the RPM and keep doing what you are doing. Once the light goes off and the process is complete, then you can step down your RPM. In the summer months, my regens are much further apart since I do a lot of mowing and running at PTO RPMs during that time frame.
Thanks, slowly figuring it out. My main worry is we have grass as high as the top of the rear tires, not a good place to have anything too hot. Looks like if it does, I just run to a clear spot and let her do her thing. I have run tractors all my life here on our family ranch, but they were antiques like our old Farmall M , a big Massey, an old John Deere 310.
I am a fair to middling mechanic, but sorely lacking in tech knowledge on the new machines. Earlier I got an older BX2660, and fell in love with it since the tiny little thing does an incredible amount of work. So, we bought these modern machines and I am in learning curve, so this site is wonderful for help. I search the threads and man does that help!
We used MidValley Tractor in Eugene, we get answers to stupid questions via email in minutes, and they found us the equipment when some of the others we tried just told us they didn't have any. Work is starting to become fun again.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Enjoy the new tractor! My DPF unit is high up on my engine and most likely would not catch anything on fire except if there is a lot of dust. The exhaust being so low would be the concern. Yet, working the tractor hard could get the exhaust hot also. As you can see below, we have some high grass/weeds and as you pointed out, it is just a matter of being aware and keeping an eye on what is going on. We haven't had an issue with anything catching fire, we also don't let the tractors just idle in the high stuff, we keep them moving.

When it comes to mechanical skills, I call my nephew. I know my limits and mechanical skills is something he has been blessed with not his old uncle.

20211106_091151.jpg

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I read the regen instructions in the manual and on the left fender about 12 times before running mine as I found the manual confusing. It appeared dauntingly complex. In practice it’s quite simple, albeit occasionally inconvenient. I’ve had it start a regen once when I was parking it to shut down (just left it outside and let it run another 15 minutes before putting putting it in its bay). Have also noticed it running a regen while running the chipper and it only had a couple minutes left by the time I noticed it was doing it. Unless you defer more than once it’s not a big deal. If you defer more than once, I don’t know what happens as I’ve never done that. I figure if it ever gets past the auto regen mode I’ll read the fender sticker or bust out the manual.

You do have to notice the flashing yellow light but honestly you should be keeping an eye on the info panel once in a while anyway for warning lights, etc. If the light is flashing, increase RPM until it’s on solid. Don’t decrease RPM until the light goes out. That’s all there is to it.

After you’ve run it a while you’ll likely also notice a change in engine sound when it wants to regen. It gets a throatier, old diesel kind of sound to it that’s just a little off from normal.

And it is nice that my wife can drive the L. The older gear drives without power steering aren’t her cup of tea.

Like you, I was strictly old iron prior to the L4701. There is a learning curve but it’s worth the effort. I still have tools in the toolbox. Not sure they’d ever do me much good for fixing much on the tractor.

So far as the dry grass, can’t help you with that other than the exhaust does get hotter than normal. Will it ignite dry grass while moving through the grass?Hasnt set anything on fire here yet. Other than that, I don’t know.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Just got our new L4701HST, sure is pretty. The wife and grandkids came down to try it out, fun time. Training school, my wife is a former city girl and it has been fun watching her transform into a country girl. Her first "ATV" was a golf cart, (5 mph tops) she was afraid of the ATV's. Over time, she has adjusted to those, then tractors, it was kick watching her climb onto our KX-40 and start digging, nothing to it. Then the L4701HST, no problem, which means this Spring and Summer we can have everything going.

She was reading the service manual that comes with the machine, got to the tier 4 emissions stuff, asked me some questions so I took a look. Heck, I had to admit it was confusing, except for the fact that it is supposed to be an automatic process, cool. Unless, we are out in the middle of 185 acres of 4 foot high grass that is bone dry, and if that light goes off, I AM going to put that button, which is when the FUBAR can begin. (Assuming I read the instructions correctly)

*Park and regen??? Run the engine at 1200 or less? I guess it does what it needs to by itself, and.. DON'T leave the tractor. (I guess I will just carry a cooler with some beer while I wait?)

It's close to not possible for the instructions to be more involved, pages and pages and pages, I wonder after reading these if the people writing them are paid by the word? All of those little indicator lights, best to know what those mean. The KX-40 is easy, if I try to do something it doesn't want me to, it just won't let me. I keep getting "shift denied" when I get in a hurry.

Maybe the tractor won't let me either, that would be nice.

Now on our big old Massey Ferguson, built in 1962 and still runs like a top, I carry some tools. A couple of wrenches, a screwdriver, and a big hammer for when the left brake sticks so I can climb underneath and drive the lever back. Have to or she mows in circles..*LOL** On these new machines, I don't need any tools at all, near as I can tell. But I guess this is our new world, the old stuff they tell me is killing our environment, but that 60 year old machine I can fix with my few tools. Just remember to leave the fan belt nice and loose so it doesn't take out the water pump bearings, and when it quits, replace the fuel filter. Most other stuff I can fix with my hammer. 60 years, literally thousands and thousands of hours and everything still works, pretty good service. One worry is that they last SO long government won't want to wait until they die on their own and will just ban them.

These new machines sure are nice, good power, easy to run, but I wonder what they will be like in 60 years? I am a bit suspicious it might have been replaced with something that is electric or runs on Hydrogen or Ammonia. At my age of 78, I ain't gonna worry about that.

Two days, still reading the manual, figuring out the lights and warning tones and what not to do. They really could make these manuals simpler.

I have to admit that I am just not yet sure of this regen process, guess I will find out. When the KX-40 did that after just 12 hours, it did know what to do, I just sat there and watched and when it told me to increase the RPM, I did. This tractor just has a light, so I suppose I will just let her do her thing when the time comes, hopefully not out in the hay fields.

Best to admit, after reading the instructions, I am still not completely sure.
I made a 40 year living reading technical manuals and documents and I have to agree. I had difficulty wrapping my head around the regen description and processes described in the L3901 manual. When the first regen occured at 40 hours and I had the indicators on the panel flashing in front of me it all became a lot clearer:

Increase RPM indicator and regen lamps flashing. OK - run the throttle up. The RPM light goes out and regen in process light comes on steady. Just kept on doing what I had been doing. Ten minutes later lamps go out - regen done. Pretty simple.

Second regen came around 80 hours and followed the same pattern. This time it started just as I was finishing up so I had to let it sit and run atcelevated RPM a few minutes in the shop until regen finished. Inconvenient but not monumentally so.

I believe the regen inhibit switch simply prevents that process from starting. My suggestion - leave it alone and let the computer do its job when the time comes.

IMO this issue has been blown way out of proportion by the DPF haters. It has been a non-issue for me.

Dan