Kubota b6000 v. Yanmar 135D

Ach

Equipment
Kubota B6000 DT with B219 Loader
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
I own a b6000. It's been beaten from here and back. I've had to replace a gear in the front, braze the housing for the left front diff, sealed it all up etc... At this point the only issue is that the 2/5 gear is out, which is how I bought it and no surprise (nor really a problem for my use of the tractor, either).

My friend is selling a 135D, which is essentially the Yanmar version of the b6000. Regardless, his machine is in perfect shape and has been excellently maintained since he bought it in the mid 80s.

I can buy his and sell mine without loss. I don't have any pto implements, and while a tiller would be nice, my soil is rocky and would probably beat one up fast. So the reverse rotating pto on the b6000 isn't really an issue from my point of view.

I know the b6000 inside and out. I'm pretty sure there are no big surprises left, but wear and tear have their own surprises. Anyone have any wisdom on trading in a beat up, reconditioned b6000 that I'm totally familiar with for an equivalent Yanmar that's in excellent condition?

Last edited:

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
Kubota and Yanmar are like Chevy and Ford, in my view. Both make high quality machines that fill the same niches. The YM135 is the equivalent of the B6000, as you said, except it has a normal running PTO. Parts are readily available. The YM135 was originally sold in the US, as you may already know.

I'd do it, were it me. If he's owned it since the mid '80s, he bought it new, or nearly so. That's a terrific history of the machine.

I have a B6000 and like it. The YM135 will seem very familiar to you when you work on it.

Ach

Equipment
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
Thanks for the opinion International.

I'm torn, but your point about the history of the Yanmar being sound is on tip. That's pretty valuable information to have on equipment.

Assuming Yanmars are comparable in manufacture and durability to Kubotas, the big issue would be parts and support I guess. I know I can get whatever I need for the b6000 right here.

Time to do a little internet research on the 135D I guess...

Anyone have insight regarding overall durability of the two tractors? Anyone feel strongly one way or another about Yanmars in general? I know people who'd rather push their Chevy than drive their Ford...

284 International

Equipment
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
I can only give you my limited experience. I own four Yanmars, but none are the YM135. I'm actually a Yanmar guy on the forums originally, and am here because of my B6000 after the fact. The Yanmars are excellent machines, of high quality and excellent durability. The company Thermo-king uses Yanmar engines that are derivatives of the tractor engines in refrigeration units in semi truck trailers. As a frame of reference for reliability, they are scheduled to have oil changes every 3000 hours. I'm not saying they're better than Kubota, Mitsubishi, Shibaura or any of the others, but they are a very reliable machine, and don't give anything up to those other brands either.

Parts are readily available from Hoye tractor, LMTC, and Sheaffer, Tractor Ernie, and EFC among others.

LMTC generally offers the best pricing, and throws in (last I knew) CDs with parts diagrams and such with orders of parts. Hoye has the best website. Sheaffer can get anything, from Japan directly, as I understand things. Tractor Ernie and Buck at EFC are excellent and honest men, and on the west coast-ish.

Most service items (like the filters, fluids, and the like) are available at Napa or other equivalent parts stores. Tires are tires, etc.

I know about those who would rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford, but I try not to bring religion into it.....:rolleyes: I own both and like them, they're both great units.

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
Kubota and Yanmar are like Chevy and Ford, in my view. Both make high quality machines that fill the same niches. The YM135 is the equivalent of the B6000, as you said, except it has a normal running PTO. Parts are readily available. The YM135 was originally sold in the US, as you may already know.

I'd do it, were it me. If he's owned it since the mid '80s, he bought it new, or nearly so. That's a terrific history of the machine. .

I have a B7100 and love it. That being said, I am with 284 here in total.

Trade in and start saving for the next Bota!:)

Last edited:

Ach

Equipment
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
Thanks for the input guys. And thanks for the detailed Yanmar overview 284. That helps plenty.

I was leaning towards keeping the Bota as I've invested lots of energy into it, but you guys are swaying me.

Chevy and Ford aren't my things, but Toyota 22R engines are. They don't quit. From what I understand the Bota diesels are like the 22R: bulletproof. If Yanmars are comparable, then the playing field levels. Really though, I think the deal is becoming a no brainer. I just remembered my friend said he had a new backup engine in wrapping somewhere on his property for the 135D...

284 International

Equipment
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
Really? He has a spare engine? Now you're just being mean! :D

John Deere still uses Yanmar engines in some of their tractors, and Yanmar built tractors that were labeled as John Deere for a long time.

People have biases and preferences, of course, but Yanmar is a top-level manufacturer of compact tractors, like Kubota or Mitsubishi. They were engineered to be small agricultural machines, not status symbols, and perform accordingly.

If the thing has been maintained and well treated, you'll never need the spare engine, but it's nice to have, for sure.

creeker

Sep 6, 2012
KY
Sorry to revive a very old thread, but I am looking at buying these very same tractors.

The Kubota is in descent condition and comes with a bush hog and a blade and the Yanmar is in excellent condition, and has a 48" belly mower with it.

My plans for this little tractor is to do mowing with it and use a tiller attachment or plow/disc harrows and attempt to pull out some logs for firewood. That is my main concern... how would these little tractors handle, say, pulling out a 18" diameter log that is 6-8 foot long?

Thanks!