Is this a water well?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Drumroll....

First, I did NOT drop my phone in the hole but I did get a picture taken!
View attachment 87682

It doesn't look like it uses a church key but it does look like a shutoff of some sort.

Oh and for the record that's about 5 feet under ground.
Is that nut metal?

That looks like a 2" square nut on top of a ductile iron gate valve. Possibly much bigger than a curb box. Never saw a curb box with a nut that size.

2" or so is standard water main gate top nut size - - 4" up to 16"...maybe bigger. Usually, there's a ductile iron riser in the street. On a lawn, no need for DI.....

Curb boxes are often ball valves.....think 3/4" valve with a small square nut or tab. 90 degrees on/off.

It's possible the utility got water curb boxes with 2" nuts. Never seen it, but doesn't mean it doesn't exist. ;) Saves on tools, and curbs boxes can be a hassle.

A 2" valve key is much more heavy-duty than a curb box key. That tool could easily break a curb box......so not sure how viable that theory is.

So I'm not thinking that's a typical 3/4-1" curb box.....

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Kubota L2501, loader, Land Pride box blade and grapple, John Deere MX5 cutter
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Some not asked for advice. I would drive a three to four foot marker stake at the pipe. Would be heck if it got covered in leaves and you ran the tractor over it.
Looks like someone already took your advice, asked for or not. :D

And yes I would prefer to avoid hitting that with my rotary mower. The PVC would just sheer off no doubt but no telling where that cap would end up.
1664235301821.png

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Kubota L2501, loader, Land Pride box blade and grapple, John Deere MX5 cutter
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Is that nut metal?
I really don't know but it looks like it is. I mentioned in one of my posts above that my shutoff is in a box up closer to the house and appears to use a more typical key. This is on some property (10 acres) we bought next door that once had a house but I never found the meter/shutoff for it. I'm considering getting water back on at the new property just to help grow some grass/clover for the deer but I'm having a hard time committing the $$.

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
I really don't know but it looks like it is. I mentioned in one of my posts above that my shutoff is in a box up closer to the house and appears to use a more typical key. This is on some property (10 acres) we bought next door that once had a house but I never found the meter/shutoff for it. I'm considering getting water back on at the new property just to help grow some grass/clover for the deer but I'm having a hard time committing the $$.
Check with your water provider. They should know exactly what property it is for.