installed new clutch on l2500 now gears grind??

familyman

Dec 28, 2012
benton ky
Hi. I'm new to the forum. So thanks in advance for any help. Its nice to have a place like this to fall back on.
Ok. Here is my problem. I installed a new clutch and pressure plate in my l2500dt because the old clutch was slipping. Now the clutch doesn't slip anymore but I have a new problem. It grinds when I shift from neutral to any gear. I have adjusted it every way you can. No better. I have installed a lot of clutches in automobiles cause that's what I do for a living. Ive had this apart and back together three times. Cant seem to find a problem. The only thing ive done different on this job is I had to make my own allignment tool. The tractor slides right together though so I don't know if that is a problem or not. Any ideas

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Sounds like maybe the clutch disk is binding just a hair on the splines not letting it center and release fully. Must be releasing enough though, or you wouldn't get it in gear at all.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Are you sure you were given the correct parts? Specifically, the pressure plate and throwout bearing? Did you match them up for thickness?

Just an idea...

Steve

familyman

Dec 28, 2012
benton ky
I have the problem solved. After checking all parts.to make.sure.they where correct. I finally just put the old pressure plate back in. Works perfect. They sent me a defective plate. First one ive ever had. Mind boggling. Thanks for everyones.help.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
I'm impressed. Also delighted that you have it working properly again. There is nothing more frustrating than to undertake major repairs, put it all together, and not have it work. What reasoning led you to put the old pressure plate back in? Also,
what was wrong with the defective one?

familyman

Dec 28, 2012
benton ky
I put the two plates side by side and noticed that near the rivets toward the inside are some small clips that act as springs to pull the plate back. Two of those were bent out on my new one. So I have done everything else. I said what the heck. Lets try the old one. Worked perfect.