Injection question for Vic or anyone

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I am wondering if there is anyway to make the governor on my L3130 more responsive? It just seems that it is lazy unless it is revved right up. Years past had various engines with the bosch inline pump that were slow to open the governor unless they were revved. These bosch pumps had a 'torque capsule' that could be adjusted and it made a huge difference in the response of the engine. You could throttle back and still have a responsive governor.
Is there anything like that on these kubota pumps?:confused:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
You are limited what you can do with a non-turboed engine. The adjustments on the L3130 are engine max governed speed, governed idle speed, max fuel rack travel ( max fuel) injection timing and governer surge. the only ones of those that will increase midrange torque are injection timing and, to a small extent, max fuel setting.
The L3130 has no aneroid valve or torque capsule nor does it have any kind of injection timing advance mechanism.
Ed

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
You are limited what you can do with a non-turboed engine. The adjustments on the L3130 are engine max governed speed, governed idle speed, max fuel rack travel ( max fuel) injection timing and governer surge. the only ones of those that will increase midrange torque are injection timing and, to a small extent, max fuel setting.
The L3130 has no aneroid valve or torque capsule nor does it have any kind of injection timing advance mechanism.
Ed
You mention governor surge. Where is that adjustment?
This pump does have and idle adjustment screw on the throttle lever and also a idle adjustment bolt on the back side of the pump. I realize they will have nothing to do with the governor but can you explain the interaction of the 2 idle adjustments:confused:

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The screw on the back that you refer to is called "idling apparatus" by Kubota. It is essentially a surge dampener. It exerts a small adjustable spring force against the back of the fuel rack at idle to stabilize the idle . Of course is you turn it in it will increase the idle speed and, conversely reduce the idle speed somewhat when you turn it in. It's purpose is to adjust for a smooth idle.
Ed

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
The screw on the back that you refer to is called "idling apparatus" by Kubota. It is essentially a surge dampener. It exerts a small adjustable spring force against the back of the fuel rack at idle to stabilize the idle . Of course is you turn it in it will increase the idle speed and, conversely reduce the idle speed somewhat when you turn it in. It's purpose is to adjust for a smooth idle.
Ed
Thanks for that info. I presume that if the engine 'hunts' at idle that the idle apparatus would need to be adjusted?
Also what is governor surge you mention and how is it adjusted.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Governer surge is what you describe as "hunting" You adjust the screw in or out as required to correct it. The reason for it is that the main governor spring is to strong to achieve a good idle without dampening.
Ed

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Governer surge is what you describe as "hunting" You adjust the screw in or out as required to correct it. The reason for it is that the main governor spring is to strong to achieve a good idle without dampening.
Ed
Thanks for your help:D I guess I will just live with the lazy governor. It is so different from my B3200:confused:

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The three cylinder engines have a heavier flywheel than the four cylinder to smooth out the engine which makes their throttle response slower, on the flip side it increases their lugging ability when you have the RPM's up.
ED

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
The three cylinder engines have a heavier flywheel than the four cylinder to smooth out the engine which makes their throttle response slower, on the flip side it increases their lugging ability when you have the RPM's up.
ED
That is interesting to know as I did notice that throttle response was a lot slower than the b3200 which revs like a sports car.:rolleyes: