I wish I could make this run

ironpony

Equipment
B7100
Mar 4, 2016
Lancaster Ohio
My Dad starting racing in 1948 and continued until 2001, yes he was 74 at his last race. He is 89 now. He ran trials and then switched to antique flat track. His first bike after WWII was a Harley and then he switched to Triumph as they were much lighter for trials riding.
His flat tracker was a 1925 Indian big valve, would run about 80 mph. He and his racing buddy, Gene Baron 75, had their trailer lettered AARP Racing Team. They started racing together in 1949 I believe. Gene owned the Harley dealership on Long Island, he passed a few years ago.
Still have the 1952 Triumph Thunderbird in the garage.
I will post some pics when I get home.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I started my working life in the motorcycle biz. I was lucky to have some people in my home town that knew the mechanics and were willing to have a 10 year old kid hang out and 'hold this'. One family gave me three bikes in 1968. A 1948 Vincent Black Shadow, a 1963 Benelli 125 Scrambler and a 1963 BSA Gold Star.
None ran. All had seized engines and other maladies. But all had been stored in a barn, were complete, some even had all the repair parts. My parents were horrified! Over the years, I restored all those bikes. I still have them, stored in my dads barn many states away. Sadly, I do not have the room where I live to have them here.

When I turned 17, I worked for a Yamaha/Harley dealer. A year later, Yamaha USA hired me as a FSM. I was racing MX at the time. Graduated to road racing, bought a TZ700 (still have it too). I also bought probably close to 20 Yamaha RD 350's and 400's. Four of the RD 400's were brand new (still in the factory boxes today), bought direct from Yamaha for manufacturing cost (about 1/6th of retail price, a steal!). I still have all these bikes. Then went from bikes into cars. By the time I was in my early thirties, the business had burned me out and I bought a pickup and changed careers, going into finance. Eventually, I 'healed' from my burnout and got back into motorcycles as a pleasure activity. Bough a Ninja 600, then a 750 then a Yamaha FZR1000. Bought a few dual sports (Honda NX250, Yamaha XT350) then a Suzuki DRZ SM (I worked it fully, from a stock 33.5 HP to 60+) and a Yamaha WR250F (near stock but made bullet proof).
The NX250 was stolen, abused and recovered, that is the only bike I ever sold.
I ride the WR250 in enduros still and a few multi-day races every year. At least once a week I hit the woods for some riding. I ride the SM all the time too, on the back roads of VA. Perfect sized bike for the roads.
I also still drive just a pickup (no more exotic cars) and now, a BX25D.
I have to say, the SM, WR and BX have been some of the most relaxing (meaning purely fun) machines, the Vincent the most terrifying and the TZ, well it makes me pee in my pants.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good on ya William,,, though I am really going out on a limb here,, I mean I can probaly find space for that old Vincent , I mean its not a Lighting or anything,,, but I could store it for you, and ahhhhh feed her and check her oil and ahhh maybe take her out for a leasurly putt now and again,, you know just to keep things oiled up,, I mean thats what friends are for,,,, right? :D

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
That ride is one you would never forget.
When I was stationed in Germany there we several guys that bought Triumps. and rode them all the time. I had the chance to ride one of them as the owner was a good friend. With the exchange rate at the time they were cheap. One of them bought 5 bikes while he was there and had 4 shipped home in the crate. I never owned a road bike but use to ride dirt bikes a lot

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
WR250s are a BLAST. I rode my V-Strom to the Dragon in 2014 and we hauled the WRs down for a week in 2015. Had a great time in the mountains on the little bikes. That gravel road that runs under the parkway is neat. 26K on the R and 13K on the X. My son rides the WRX but I jump on it once in awhile. Got a blue tank in place of the white one after hitting a deer.