I need help deciding on which tractor is best for my needs

Volsfan

Sep 7, 2014
Cleveland,Tennessee
My dad has a m5140 it is a workhorse.you may want to try one out. I'm very impressed with it. If you must have hst take a serious look at the mx4700 mx5100. Forget about the backhoe I don't think you would benefit from the cost on that size property. I would recommend a minimum 6 foot cutter with the bigger tractors. You want to try to cover your tracks.dads m5140 handles a 8 foot rear lift cutter with no problem. Get 2 remotes on rear and 3rd function for loader. By the way the 5140 has all 4 ag tires filled and 2 sets of rear wheel weights and with the loader maxed out at over 2000 pounds it will not raise the rear tires.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Just rent a mini excavator when you get your trees cut, less wear on your machine and a week rental on a decent sized maxhine should only be 1500-1800 and no maintenance and you can do alot with the bigger machine and the features of an excavator vs a tractor mount backhoe.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I can't totally disagree with the backhoe comments. That said, my dad has one and it is handy as all crap. It is a bushhog on a subframe on an L3710. Over 10 or 20 or 30 years, you'd be surprised. Of course, i get to save the $10k, cause i can borrow it. =)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Garandman

Equipment
L3200, SSQA bucket, pallet forks, Ratchet Rake, Wallenstein BX42s chipper
Sep 1, 2014
Boston / Sullivan County NH
I believe I have narrowed my choice down to the L4060HST with the LA805 loader and a 5' rotary mower. I am considering a 3rd function valve for the loader and 2 remote hydraulic valves for the rear.

As it stands right now, I'm starting to back away from the backhoe. A couple of people have told me that unless I use it a lot it won't be worth the money. If I don't get the backhoe, it will free up about $8500 for implements. That's a decent chunk of money. If I don't get the backhoe I will likely get a box scrape, a wood splitter and something to drag trees out of the woods with.
Exactly what I did. I can rent an excavator for $1,000 a week, delivered, and use the tractor for transport.

I bought a chipper, pallet forks, a ratchet rake and who knows what else will come.

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
Ok, guys. I've been working a salesman over, and he's been a very good sport about it. He is working up some quotes for me on a Grand L4060HSD and a MX5200HSD. He hasn't sent me the quote yet but, he said the prices between the two is fairly close. I think within a couple of hundred dollars.

On the quote that he is going to send me, both tractors will have a FEL, backhoe and a Land Pride RCR1860 60" Rotary Cutter. They both use the BH92 backhoe so if I decide not to get a backhoe the amount of the cost drop should be the same for either machine.

The L4060 has a lot of bells and whistles as well as a nice suspension seat, which is appealing.
The MX5200 has more power, which is also appealing.

They weigh about the same and their capacities are similar. The horsepower vs creature comforts seems to be the major difference.

If pricing between the two is relatively equal would you guys go with a MX5200 and have 10 more horsepower or the L4060 and have all of the Cadillac options?

Dang! Buying a tractor is very stressful. lol

Last edited:

99LS1SS

Oct 7, 2014
North Carolina
Just as an update, ended up getting the L4060HST with a FEL, box scraper, 6' bush hog and 48" pallet forks. I really think I made the better choice. There are a good number of bumps on our land and I'm in the woods a lot and that cushion seat has really saved my back. I got the tires filled too. I really like this tractor a lot. I have worked it pretty hard. I have bush hogged, hauled brush, moved a lot of dirt and debris, cut roads through the woods, pulled 6" and smaller stumps out of the ground, graded and various other things. It has taken it all in stride.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Several dealers have told me to skip the back hoe - that the few times I may need it - I would be much better of renting one.

OK Ezlife - may I ask which grapple you went with - trying to research and decide which one is best for me - get the opinion from people who already have them.

Thanks

Dan
Sorry for the late post, just ran across this. As far as grapples, I recently bought a 72" Rake Master rake/grapple. Most of the Kubota dealers in my area recommend it and I know several folks that run them commercially. They're made in Perry, FL. It's heavy, around 800 lbs. I ordered the 61" that was lighter. It wasn't until I got home that I realized it was the wider one. The tractor could handle it so I decided to keep it. The price was the same as quoted originally so kept it and got a better deal essentially. One thing I highly recommend is the 3rd function valve. If you use it much it's worth it. I paid $3,050 installed with 3rd function valve out the door.
It's a lot of money, but it stays on the tractor a lot more than the bucket, which I thought would never happen. I've got a lot of trees I'm taking down and stacking them in my back woods. It saves tons of time, not to mention my back. Another benefit is that I've become the most popular guy in the neighborhood, getting lots of free southern cooked meals... :D

Last edited:

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Just as an update, ended up getting the L4060HST with a FEL, box scraper, 6' bush hog and 48" pallet forks. I really think I made the better choice. There are a good number of bumps on our land and I'm in the woods a lot and that cushion seat has really saved my back. I got the tires filled too. I really like this tractor a lot. I have worked it pretty hard. I have bush hogged, hauled brush, moved a lot of dirt and debris, cut roads through the woods, pulled 6" and smaller stumps out of the ground, graded and various other things. It has taken it all in stride.
Congrats on the purchase! Shoot us some pics when you can.