How long did your original battery last?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Stopped by the local rural king and bought their brand instead of the battery tender brand. It***8217;s says it***8217;s a battery maintainer and float charger 12 volt.
Specifications:
Input power:120VAC,60HZ, 0.10A
Output:750mA/12vdc
Battery capacity: 5-125Ah
Red light:charging
Green light: maintaining

This stuff is completely foreign to me, so is this the right type of ***8220;battery tender***8221; ? Their brand was half price verses the actual battery tender brand. Just curious if I should take it back and get the other one instead or will this one work just as well?

Thanks
Ben - I think you're good, as long as it's a maintainer, and not a trickle charger. I think my Schumacher is 1.5A, versus your .75A. But honestly, the trick is they're not supposed to overcharge, so you can leave them on. Not sure 0.75 or 1.5 is the key if they're supposed to shut down anyhow. But, no sense to get more amps than necessary.

My Harley had a 'Tender for 11 years; sold it with OEM battery. I think that was .75 on a smaller battery.

I think this is mine.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/schumacher-6-12v-battery-maintainer-15a?cm_vc=-10005

Last edited:

Green Acres

Equipment
L3301 - International Utility 340 Need Parts for it!
Apr 13, 2015
Ozarks
Do I need to disconnect the battery from Tractor? Instructions on the B&D 6/12 volt battery maintainer mentions "On Board Computer" could be damaged...Even though there is not one on my L3301 like a vehicle, just want to be safe with the electronics on it. Thanks.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Do I need to disconnect the battery from Tractor? Instructions on the B&D 6/12 volt battery maintainer mentions "On Board Computer" could be damaged...Even though there is not one on my L3301 like a vehicle, just want to be safe with the electronics on it. Thanks.
Actually, your tractor does have an ECU to control your engine, just like a car. It monitors a variety of electronic sensors including crankshaft position, engine speed, mass airflow, DPF delta pressure sensors, EGT sensor, coolant temp sensor, etc. The ECU takes these readings and actuates the common-rail electronic injectors, as well as controls active regeneration events, and provides feedback to the instrument panel. While older tractors had none of these electronics, modern common-rail tractors are highly sophisticated.

That said, I would not worry in the least about running the battery tender with the battery still hooked up. My electronic fuel injected Harley Davidson sits on a tender with the battery connected at all times; never had any issue.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My electronic fuel injected Harley Davidson sits on a tender with the battery connected at all times; never had any issue.
My first experience with a maintainer was my EFI Harley also.

OEM battery was still in it when sold 11 years later...

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Im going on 9 years on a replacement battery and last year and this year it’s barely started when cold. I just got a tender 2 days ago to see how much longer I can get out of it. The battery tender kit comes with a cable with ring terminals to hook to the battery and a quick disconnect on the other end which I stubbed out of the front grill so I don’t have to go through the trouble of dealing with the alligator clips.