Help for a soon-to-be 1860 owner

jandr95

Jun 10, 2012
Detroit, MI
After weeks of research, I am a hair's breadth from buying an 1860 with FEL, MMM and rear blade. I'm pretty fired up about it but I have questions.

My situation: I have a 150' gravel driveway that needs grading and snow removal, a 1.5-acre corral that needs mowing (nothing nice), and a lot of material-moving needs (gravel, mulch, soil, old cut-up firewood and downed trees; some boulders).

I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the group can enlighten me on several areas.

Is the rear blade the right choice for both gravel grading and snow removal? We don't get dumped on too badly in the winter -- usually.

Is there any reason to consider upgrading to the 2360? After all my research, I'm concluding that I don't need the extra 5 hp and the bigger wheels. What do you guys think? Does the extra hp make any difference in loader performance?

Since my lawn and the corral that I mow are not very nice and never will be -- and since I will occasionally drag loads of stuff into the somewhat swampy backwoods behind my house -- I was going to choose the ag tires instead of turf. Good idea or bad?

I was going to choose the 48" mowing deck instead of the 54" because of the narrow areas around trees and such that I have to negotiate. Good idea or should I stick with the 54 for resale?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. I want to pull the trigger on this purchase this week. I am psyched. Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
So far it sounds like you're on the right path and all the impliments you mentioned will handle the task's you have planned for it. Without a doubt get the ag tires if you know for a fact you'll be going into a swampy/soupy mess.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Eric's right about the tires. But, for me I would upsize for the larger tire size and take the 5 HP as a bonus. In most grading situations I would choose a boxblade. But, if you are mainly gonna use the back blade for snow a regular blade might be best for you.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
When in doubt buy them both! I have both a grading box and a snow blade and I use them as such. The grading box I stick with for grading and dirt work and use the snow plow just for snow work in the winter time.