Glow Plugs stuck on B2710

formrthomas

Feb 13, 2013
SE US
My B2710's glow plug light came on while working in the woods and after I got out and turned the machine off the glow plug light stayed on despite the engine switch being turned off. Somewhat alarming...The battery was significantly drained as well so I say the indicator light was working. The service manual and parts manuals just arrived and I'm going through them any suggestions. I'm guessing a new relay or controller but would like to narrow that down a bit. Any suggestions?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
The wiring diagram will tell the tale but that machine may have a glow plug timer that's designed to leave them on for 30-60 seconds after it starts and you release the starter switch. A simple switched glow plug system like on my machine shouldn't be able to get power unless there is a serious problem with the switch. Not sure how you'd go about diagnosing that but I'd check check the rest of the system for shorts first and then get creative from there.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
The wiring diagram will tell the tale but that machine may have a glow plug timer that's designed to leave them on for 30-60 seconds after it starts and you release the starter switch. A simple switched glow plug system like on my machine shouldn't be able to get power unless there is a serious problem with the switch. Not sure how you'd go about diagnosing that but I'd check check the rest of the system for shorts first and then get creative from there.
A test light is a man's best friend.

Last edited:

formrthomas

Feb 13, 2013
SE US
Well I ripped everything loose and cleaned all kinds of stuff off and up and found .......nothing out of the ordinary and the problem persists. I tried a quick fix and let me know if some will blow up. I installed a switch between the relay and the block so I can control the energy which appears to be constant from busted relay or controller. I had the parts on hand and it cost all of two dollars and the tractor is up and running without ordering parts. I flip it on to start and flip it off after we are up and running. Seems fine so far....any comments or concerns with my rigging job.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I am sure your bypassing will work fine but I would need to know what messed up. It is not a complex system, trouble shooting should not be too difficult.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
A fine jury rig, MacGyver would be proud! Just don't leave it like that. A few months down the road you'll forget to shut it off one time and end up with melted glow plug all over the inside of your engine.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Glow plug controller.

Perhaps $75 at dealer.

Under dashboard as you found it.

Have seen this couple times--sometimes fails 'on', sometimes 'off'.

Tech tells me won't hurt to have glow plugs running continuously but is a huge current draw---when running the alt output won't ever catch up with the draw of the glow plugs on the battery.

Saw one where owner had installed battery cutoff, convinched he had a short somewhere without understanding glow plugs were draining battery.

Had same problem myself. R&R controller and back in business.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Follow the heavy power lead to the glow plugs back to the first "black box" it connects to. That would be the relay, pull off one of the smaller wires and if the glow plugs de-energize then the controller is bad, if they stay on then the relay is stuck "on."

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
When I have seen this issue on B or L series, the controller was the problem.

formrthomas

Feb 13, 2013
SE US
Thanks gentlemen I will get on this shortly and have it completely fixed. I was pretty happy with the switch rigging I was able to tear up enough ground to get the corn in on Friday which was the "only" day it could go it according to the wife.