Glow lamp not going out

BarneyN

Equipment
KH-66 digger, Bucher tractor (Kubota engine)
Nov 28, 2021
UK
Hello,
I have a problem with the D1402B engine in my KH-66 digger, in that the glow lamp will not go out, regardless of how long I hold the key against the stop, and the engine will not fire. I see from the wiring diagram in the workshop manual that there is a "Glow lamp timer", but I cannot find that - and the trouble-shooting section suggests I could have an alternator problem.
For background, I have just replaced the head gasket which of course involved disconnecting lots of pipes and wires, so I guess I have disturbed something. It started fine before I dived in.
Any ideas on where to look ?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd carefully inspect, disconnect,reconnect ALL the 'wires'. It could be simply that one conector isn't fully pushed in and locked , maybe one pin got bent ?

Since everything worked before, I suspetctthe 'bad alternator' is NOT true.

BarneyN

Equipment
KH-66 digger, Bucher tractor (Kubota engine)
Nov 28, 2021
UK
I'd carefully inspect, disconnect,reconnect ALL the 'wires'. It could be simply that one conector isn't fully pushed in and locked , maybe one pin got bent ?

Since everything worked before, I suspetctthe 'bad alternator' is NOT true.
Thanks, the only wires I disconnected were the glow plug wire to cylinder number 3, the alternator plug and main connector and of course the earth/ground lead at the battery. The wire for the water temperature sensor was already broken. I have checked and cleaned them all and they seem fine. I am getting between 9.5 and 10V at each glow plug - I guess it has to be full 12V ?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
No there is something in the system that drops the voltage to the glow plugs to about the voltage you are seeing. On my L185 there was a resistor that glowed to indicate that power was going to the glow plugs.

Also there is power to the glow plugs in the start position of the key on most Kubota. There the starter draw is dropping the voltage enough.

See if there is power to the glow plugs at the start position.

I would assume you have a bad controller and would replace it and the glow plugs (they are probably cheap). Controller may not be cheap and may have some trouble shooting steps to follow before you just replace them.

I assume that engine spins but does not fire off. I would suggest you get the alternator tested since the manual suggested that and it is hopefully easily removed to have it tested.