Gen Set

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well it seems the old genset (5.2Kw)went tits up here last week. It was only 15 years old and used probably more than it was meant to be used. Has a Tecumseh motor and they are defunct, but that still runs however the guts of the old gal are fried crispy, I don't think its worth repairing and I have been trying to put it out of my mind.
But winter is coming, and if its like the last I will need emergency power. So I am asking, which potable units have you guys found to be a solid genset I was looking at the Genarac 8K surge 10.5K gas for about a grand at Lowes. Im sure I could find one on line cheaper, but every site you go to their unit is the best. Im not looking for a self contained unit to mount by the house I need a portable unit. I got rid of the PTO unit I found for the BX, it worked but I could see some problems if I had to run for a long time in the winter

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Those generac's are pretty good. Neighbors got one last year. His his a 4.5 kw. He made up a double ended plug and back feads it through a 220 line back to his breaker box. He just makes sure to shut the main breaker off when it's in use. Powers his 1300 sq ft home. Only thing it won't do is power his heat pump. Or I should say, it will power his heat pump, but nothing else. So he alternates between lights and appliances and the heat pump when necessary.

I use a no name china brand model thats 3000 watts. Mine got stabbed with a forklift and sat it a garage for about 8 years. Never been started when i had it given to me. Previous owner couldn't find the breakers so he never messed with it. I had the breakers for it at work. Put 50$ into it between breakers and outlets, pounded the face plate back straight and been using it for 5 years. Has enough juice to run the tv, dish, a few lights, fridge and the blower for the fire place insert and microwave.

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
I have a Coleman 5.5 KW and a Champion 6 KW. Both are about 10 years old and either will run house basics including heat pump. Fridge, well pump, freezer, few lights and heat pump. Probably not all at same time. Both have served me well but I sure wish I had a new Honda. If I was buying today I would be buying Honda even though they are more expensive.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
If you can find a used kubota gen, either gas or diesel, they seem to last a very long time and from what I read they sip fuel. I know a guy in the concrete business and he has a kubota from the 80's and still runs great. If anyone is looking into a natural gas/propane standby generator, stay away from them. I've installed a lot of them the past few years but many are having problems with them especially the ones with a generac motor. Once something major goes wrong they are basically throw aways because the parts cost as much as a new one. If you had your mind set on having one go with a Kohler they build a quality motor. I'm also a big fan of Honda gas motors, they seem to outlast whatever they are powering.

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
4 years ago I bought a Honda snow blower. I went top of line for small machine. We routinely have 5 ft or more drifts and this little machine just eats them up. The engine just never lets me down. I just went to the barn, set choke and one pull. It has been sitting since spring with stabilized gas. Unfortunately my 68 year old body demanded something easier, thus my new 2370. I will keep the little Honda for clean up work. Love Honda engines regardless of that they are in. Thus the search is on to upgrade to a Honda generator.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Check your local CraigsList if you are near a bigger town/city.

Nice very low time Hondas on all the time for 1/2 retail. Worth an hour or so drive!

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
One thing that you might consider is how you are going to connect it to the house. If it's not hard wired, most people connect it through the 30 amp plug. The size of the genset will dictate the duty cycle. I'm not saying this right, but basically you don't want the genset to run at 100% of capacity. The longevity will be decreased. But you also don't want to buy something that will power the neighborhood and you are just running lights. A 5000 watt generator with 240 volt will power most homes fine for the short term. I run lights, two fridges, a freezer, the well and the TV and computer all at one time. Get creative with the breakers and I fire up the water heater. I'm running a Briggs and Stratton unit with 5,500kw and 8,200 surge.
My point is, that it will run all week long and last a long time because I am not pushing it to capacity. If I would have bought the 8,000 watt unit, I would still be doing it through a 30 amp plug.
30 amps is 30 amps.
You might be running you 8000 watt unit at only 20% capacity, but if all your using is 30 amps, that is quite a bit of overkill.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Skeets.... I have the exact Generac you're looking at. I really don't have but a few hours on it but it generates fine, set it up on a whole house setup. The only thing I'd say in negative light is it's a bear to get going. It'll start on the 9th or tenth pull period and it's like pulling a hundred pounds of dead weight each time to get there. I've taken to squirting a bit of starter fluid in the air cleaner each time and it'll "usually" start on the first pull then. I'd imagine electric start would get around that but then there's another battery to maintain.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Skeets.... I have the exact Generac you're looking at. I really don't have but a few hours on it but it generates fine, set it up on a whole house setup. The only thing I'd say in negative light is it's a bear to get going. It'll start on the 9th or tenth pull period and it's like pulling a hundred pounds of dead weight each time to get there. I've taken to squirting a bit of starter fluid in the air cleaner each time and it'll "usually" start on the first pull then. I'd imagine electric start would get around that but then there's another battery to maintain.
My son has a 8000kw Generac and it starts on the first or second pull every time. His has a compression release that makes it easy to start. It does have the electric start but has gone through two batteries because he has not put a tender on it. Starting on first or second pull he decided to just start that way. His wife has no problem starting it.:cool:

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
When starting some engines that haven't been ran in a while and do not have a priming bulb, I have gotten in the habit of keeping the ignition OFF and pull it about six or eight times. You're not trying to start it so you don't have to give it a big yank. Just a full pull. Gets things freed up a bit and the fuel system primed. Sometimes if you try it with the ignition on, it will cough and sputter, then you're taking a chance on fouling the plug. After six or eight times, turn the ignition on and give it a big yank. If it still does not start, turn the ignition of and give it a couple more easy pulls and try it again with the ignition on.

Leyland

Equipment
BX25D
Oct 31, 2014
Southwestern Ontario
Great topic.

Sorry this is long winded, but my research and gained advice has changed my outlook on emergency preparedness. I always wanted a larger 5000-7000w generator, 240v, run everything, no hassles, etc. Maybe Natural Gas Unit, etc. thought this was the right way... After last winters storm and many people were without emergency power after 1-2 days having burned up all their stock pile of 5 gallon cans of gas... Others generators wouldn't run due to lack of maintenance, forgot to refill that 5 gallon can after cutting lawn all summer, etc. I began to reconsider... We only have a small McCulloch 1800watt inverter generator from our camper. in our old house it would only power the sump pump or the furnace, or the fridge at a time. I would constantly run between each, switching every half hour, getting no rest or sleep at night constantly switching off extension cords.

We recently moved and renovated our new place. After much research on the internet and talking with a few electricians and generator sales guys, we wired the house specifically with dedicated "emergency" circuits through a 60A generator sub-panel (uses a double pole breaker to switch between gen & utility feeds). This panel is fed off the main house panel (200A) via a 30A breaker (up to 60A) and 8g wire for all we needed. This is the proper and safest way to power your house in an emergency, when on generator power, there is absolutely no risk of back feeding the grid. No utility disconnects were necessary to install the panel and it runs all my emergency circuits via extension cord to generator. Easy for my wife to figure out if I'm away, and the additional wire was minimal cost (maybe $60) and the panel was around $300 including breakers. Our biggest improvement was the newer more efficient appliances and addition of all Natural Gas appliances.

With the house being wired following a plan for which circuits would be necessary for emergency situations, we were able to run sufficient lighting throughout the entire house, Heat via the furnace (gas), the deep freezer, the fridge to keep food from spoiling, cook on the stove (gas), and TV/entertainment circuit to keep informed and kids entertained. This past Saturday evening I tested the new set up using our old 1800 watt (peak) 1600w nom portable inverter gen ($350 at flea market). Much to my surprise, it powered EVERYTHING but the old sears deep freezer at the same time with no troubles at all. Ran for about 4hrs on half tank of gas (maybe 1-2L of fuel??). We couldnt' believe the difference with modern efficient appliances and the fuel savings with the smaller inverter style generators. Outdoor temps were around 0*C, our kids watched TV, surfed internet on the Ipad, wife fired up stove and baked a casserole, fridge was cold and the house was lit up and warm. Unfortunately the ice cream started to melt in the deep freezer after the 4+hr test:p I had actually turned off the main panel powering the rest of the house, just to see if our plan was sufficient. My family didn't even realize until it was time to run the dishwasher:D

Pleasantly surprised with energy efficiency, simplicity, and more importantly, fuel efficiency, I determined a 3000 watt Honda inverter would be just perfect to power "everything" we need, including the deep freezer, with no switching between appliances (fridge or furnace to freezer, etc.). My 1800W will do for now while we save up.

I strongly suggest taking some time to consider your needs in an emergency vs what you think you need. We live in town so don't need a well pump which helps... Deciding/wiring necessary circuits is easier than you think, by simply moving the wire from main panel, over to the new panel... With some planning, you can have all the necessities and fuel efficiency too. A 2000-3000w inverter generator will burn 1/2 the fuel a 5000w coleman/briggs will use, way less noise, and will get you by for days or weeks. This means half the gas to keep on hand/cycle through.

We considered natural gas generac also, but like the portability and reliability of a portable unit.

Future plans also include a wood stove for enjoyment, and emergencies.
Hope this helps.

dtbprc

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 21, 2014
Auburn Township, OH
www.youtube.com
bought a Honeywell 7500 for the house- have had it for 6 years now- original battery too. only use it maybe twice a year- test it every two months. only thing gone on it is one 112v plug. the other 112v and 220v are fine. only had to clean carb on it once. bad gas. $900 then and they still sell it for $999 now. recommend this model.