G5200 Rehab

603g5200

Equipment
Kubota G5200G, G2500 snowblower and a Massey Ferguson MF20 Industrial
Oct 27, 2020
New Hampshire
So I bought a g5200 this summer. The mower had 1130 hrs on it when I purchased it. It was rough, but had really nice bones. It came with a Sims Cab, G2500 38" single stage blower with hydraulic lift, 48" mower deck. The tractor is also set up with hydraulic deck lift and front hydraulics. I called Kubota and the local dealer and off the serial number no one could tell me the year, they came back and told me it was a 2012. Though since they only made the 5200 from 1984-90. They also told me the snowblower from the serial number was a tiller. They are really useless if it is not a new tractor. A lot of the parts they told me were in stock until I told them to order them, then they would come back and tell me they are no longer in production.

It ran really rough at idle and would not engage the mower under power, it would just bog down and die. So I went through the motor, rebuilt the injectors, replaced the injector washers, cleaned the fuel tank, replaced both fuel filters, replaced air filter, oil and hydraulic fluid and filters. I tested and replaced the glow plugs, 2 out of the three were faulty. I adjusted the tension on the PTO belts, pulled all the sensors out, cleaned tichtened and install diod grease in all the electrical connectors. Stripped down the entire tractor , Sanded and painted the wheels. cleaned and painted the Motor, exhaust intake and muffler, frame and all the body parts. I replaced the seat cover, still waiting for the rivets so it looks a little baggy in the finished photos. I pulled the front wheels repacked the bearings. Adjusted everything. pulled the brake pedal off it was seized on there and would barely move, I had to actually use a puller to get it off.

The fender was broken right off in the rear. I farmed this part out to a local fiberglass show. I build a steel plate the the fiberglass shop bonded into the fiberglass to reinforce the rear of the fender. I also had to cut out the old mounting brackets and welded angle iron to the steel plate as my mounting points.

Mower Deck RC48-G20

The mower deck was in really nice shape, still had the barcode sticker on the back of the deck. I went through the mower deck, stripped it down, checked all the spindles, cleaned, greased and repaired everything, painted and reassembled it.

Snowblower G2500 38" single stage blower.

This was in rough shape, the slip clutch spline was stripped out completely and would not run the blower. You cannot buy this part any more so I had to fabricate a new one, I bought a 10 spline coupler from hubcity cut it in half and made two so I had a spare. I also changed out the grade five bolts in the plastic disk of the slip clutch to grade 20 so the bolts sheer first before the spline strips.

Next I stripped down the blower, pulled the auger, checked the bearings, sanded and painted the whole unit. Installed a new chain, belt and I also fabricated a mounting bracket and installed an electric motor I had laying around to rotate the shoot. I purchased a cheap actuator so the chute can now angle via power instead of getting off the tractor and shutting everything down. I then cut the old skid shoes up since they were worn down to nothing. cut some new steel and welded new plates
on the bottom of the shoes. I purchased some old international wheel weights, sanded and painted those orange they weigh 38.5 lbs each. I also picked up a set of tire chains as well for snow.

Below are some before and after pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

603g5200

Equipment
Oct 27, 2020
New Hampshire
Process through the stages.
The mower deck only had minor repair on one of the top panels, I had to weld on a new edge to bolt it to the deck.

Attachments

Last edited:

603g5200

Equipment
Oct 27, 2020
New Hampshire
More Progress,
Here you can see I have the motor back together, I painted all the engine, intake and exhaust. I also repainted the silver on the dash to accent all the works and raised ridges.

Attachments

603g5200

Equipment
Oct 27, 2020
New Hampshire
We are getting there, You can see the detail that went into refurbishing all the body parts. I put 4 coats of kubota orange. And Yes I know I used the wrong orange. To paint all the parts I needed a gallon of paint and to get Kubota orange 1 it was going to cost me around $150 with shipping. I bought the rustoleum tractor and implement for $40 with the hardener. I can also buy touch up cans local for maintenance. I also figured that they changed the color in 1990 which was the last year for this model. My mower deck was the new kubota orange as well.

Attachments

603g5200

Equipment
Oct 27, 2020
New Hampshire
We are there.
So now for the meat, it you made it through all the pictures you were probably wondering how much I paid for it and what I have invested.
First though, the cab is a sims cab and the mounting was directly on the fender. Poor design this caused the whole fender for crack off in the rear. So the last part I did was designed an built a custom bracket that comes off the frame to mount to the rear cab mount so it will not be sitting on the fender any more.

Purchase price $1200 for tractor, cab and snowblower. and a box of new filters, and spare parts,
Cost for parts and repairs - Paint, 10 spline coupler, replacement belts, rebuild injectors, Repair fender, new filters, New window in vinyl side curtains, miscellaneous missing parts, 75 lb Wheel weights, Tire chains, New chain for snowblower, new glow plugs, Wire and switch to make new wiring harness for showblower electric motors, actuator for snow blower and miscellaneous steel for brackets etc and all new fluids, oil, radiator, hydraulic. New rubber for floorboards Total cost was $620
Total invested $1820

Tractor runs beautiful now, mows great and looks brand new. I should get many years to come out of this machine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Huge amount of work, with impressive results!

603g5200

Equipment
Oct 27, 2020
New Hampshire
Thank You it was a lot of fun, worth it too. I have a nice tractor for short money and a little time. I have about 25 hours into the rehab. and about 8 hours into fabrication for modifications and new parts.

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
Nice work. I got a G1900 in the spring and did some mechanical and clean up but was in better shape to start with than yours. Mine runs like a top and has lots of power. I think the 5200 and 1900 are close kin truth be told I think I prefer the boxy look more than mine.
Enjoy

Attachments

603g5200

Equipment
Oct 27, 2020
New Hampshire
Nice work. I got a G1900 in the spring and did some mechanical and clean up but was in better shape to start with than yours. Mine runs like a top and has lots of power. I think the 5200 and 1900 are close kin truth be told I think I prefer the boxy look more than mine.
Enjoy
Thank You , I looked at buying a G1900S I thought they were nice tractors, the seller sold it in one day. too bad they did not offer a blower for those. 18hp is pretty nice in a garden tractor
nice machine.
Enjoy

603g5200

Equipment
Oct 27, 2020
New Hampshire
So I finally got to try my new to me tractor on some decent snow. We got 24" Worked great. I am going to add a few mods, I am going to extend the chute and add drift cutters to the sides.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user