Fuel Injector Replacement

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
So I had the fuel injectors on my L225DT pressure tested and all three barely dribble out fuel as opposed to a fine spray pattern. The fella that did the pressure test for me asked if the engine ran and i told him it actually runs quite well and only puts out black smoke when accelerating. My question is this; am i in danger of burning a hole in the pistons with the fuel coming out in concentrated drops vs. a finely dispersed mist?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
So I had the fuel injectors on my L225DT pressure tested and all three barely dribble out fuel as opposed to a fine spray pattern. The fella that did the pressure test for me asked if the engine ran and i told him it actually runs quite well and only puts out black smoke when accelerating. My question is this; am i in danger of burning a hole in the pistons with the fuel coming out in concentrated drops vs. a finely dispersed mist?
Poor injectors cause all kinds of damage. Burned pistons scored cylinders high exhaust temps. Just makes a mess of an engine. I am surprised it ran at all.:eek:

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Did the test process use the correct pressure(s) to test them?

It sounds like they had a different pressure when running versus being tested.

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
Did the test process use the correct pressure(s) to test them?

It sounds like they had a different pressure when running versus being tested.
I'm with Dave on this one,

a good injector will spray a fine mist at it's opening pressure

a bad injector will leak at lower pressure and/or make a single stream/jet

I have an injector opening pressure tester here and an injector making fuel drops is just not fully open. ( the VW TDI are 220 bar injectors (3200psi))

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Alight, i had the injectors retested at the correct pressure and they all popped off as they should and sprayed a nice pattern, or so the fella testing them said. That's relief. Anyone know about how many hours these injectors should run before rebuild/replacement?

Dan

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Alight, i had the injectors retested at the correct pressure and they all popped off as they should and sprayed a nice pattern, or so the fella testing them said. That's relief. Anyone know about how many hours these injectors should run before rebuild/replacement?

Dan
Well that is good:) Injectors will go thousands of hours with good clean fuel. It is usually a good idea to have the pressures checked and tips checked for spray pattern every couple thousand hours but otherwise they will go a very long time.